Apple's new Apple TV has begun arriving on doorsteps near and far. And once you get your new set-top box, you'll have to set it up from scratch. Apple offers two different ways of initializing your Apple TV: Set Up With Device, and Set Up Manually.
If you don't have your device handy, Rene has a great how-to on manually setting up your Apple TV; otherwise, the easiest and best way is to use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
How to set up your Apple TV with a device
You need to use your Siri Remote to set up your Apple TV. Swipe the trackpad at the top to navigate, click to select.
- Click the trackpad on your Siri Remote to pair it with your Apple TV.
- Select the language you want to use with Apple TV.
- Select the country you're in.
- Choose whether or not to use Siri.
- Select Set Up with Device.
- Tap Set Up on your iOS device.
- Enter the authentication code displayed on your Apple TV into your iOS device. The setup process will begin.
Tap Done on iOS device when it says Finish on Apple TV.
- Choose when to require a password for iTunes purchases.
Sign in to cable provider for single sign-on if your provider is supported.
- Turn on Home screen syncing if you want to keep the Home screen and apps up to date between multiple Apple TVs.
Select Enable Location Services or Disable Location Services.
- Select Automatically Download or Not Now to choose whether or not to automatically load Apple's Aerial screensavers.
Select Send to Apple on the Analytics screens.
- Choose whether or not to share app analytics with developers.
Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
And with that, you're all set!
Enhance your Apple TV experience
There's a long list of awesome accessories for Apple TV, including these two:
Apple AirPods 2 (from $159 at Apple)
For those times when you don't want to disturb others in your home, but you still want to listen to your favorite movie or TV show, go with the Apple Airpods 2. Now offering a wireless charger case, the popular earbuds feature the new Apple H1 headphone chip that delivers a faster wireless connection to your devices.
ViewSonic PX747-4K ($1,000 at Amazon)
Offering an immersive cinema-like experience in 4K UHD, this projector can work on a screen up to 300 inches in 3,500 lumens. SuperEco mode allows the lamp to operate for over 15,000 hours before a replacement is needed. This projector supports most media players, gaming consoles, PCs, Macs, and mobile devices.
Can't get this process to work? Let us know below and we'll try and help you out.
Update May 2019: Current through tvOS 12.3.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Report: 6 months in, Apple TV+ and Disney+ are both flying high
Apple TV+ and Disney+ are two of the newcomers to the streaming market but six months in they're doing great, according to a new report.
Apple retains top spot in the wearables market in Q1
A new report suggests Apple shipped over 21 million wearables units in Q1, giving it a 29.3% market share.
Judge dismisses lawsuit against Apple TV+ show 'Servant'
A lawsuit filed against Apple and M. Night Shyamalan over Apple TV+ show 'Servant' has been dismissed.
Grab yourself a portable power bank for your next road trip
Having a way to charge your iPhone while on the go is paramount these days, and no, we're not talking about having to find an outlet. Here are the best battery banks, so you can truly charge on the go.