How to erase an iPhone, iPad, or Mac with iCloud.com
- Click Find My iPhone on the iCloud website, from any web browser on your Mac or Windows PC.
- Sign in to your iCloud account when prompted.
- If you're not immediately taken to Find My iPhone, click on Find My iPhone from the Home menu.
- Click on All Devices at the top of the Find My iPhone screen.
- Click the device you'd like to erase.
- Click Erase (device) on the upper right of the screen, beneath the picture of your device.
- Click Erase.
The device will now be wiped of its content and settings. Make sure you're sure that you're sure you want to erase your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, because when it says "Erase," it means "Erase." All of it. If you plan on selling your device, note that erasing it via Find My iPhone may not necessarily disable Activation Lock. You'll need to sign out of iCloud on the device to fully disable Activation Lock.
Updated October 2018: Updated for the latest version of iOS.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Mick is a staff writer who's as frugal as they come, so he always does extensive research (much to the exhaustion of his wife) before making a purchase. If it's not worth the price, Mick ain't buying.