The Nintendo Switch's online services had a rough start and even still it can be difficult to impossible to report cheaters on the Switch for poor conduct in many games with online features. Gradually, players are finding new ways to cheat in various online games, causing trouble for people who just want to enjoy the game. Luckily, there are some measures you can take when faced with a cheater in a Nintendo Switch game. Here are the ways you can report cheaters on the Switch:
You can report people you've played matches with in Splatoon 2 via the Nintendo Switch Online App. This not only applies to those you were in voice chat with, but anybody you've recently played with, so it's good to have the app handy even if you're not actively using it. Here are the steps to report a cheater or someone with an inappropriate name:
- Open the Nintendo Switch Online App and select Splatoon 2.
- Choose "Battles" from the bottom bar in the Splatoon 2 menu.
- Select the match you played with the cheater in and find the player's name you want to report.
- After selecting the player, tap "Report."
- Enter details on why you're reporting, then select "Report."
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
There are multiple ways to report things in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. You can report someone for a letter, bulletin board post, profile, tailor shop custom design, design terminal custom design, chat message, or behavior. Just follow these simple steps:
Letter, bulletin, tailor shop custom design
- Go to your mailbox, bulletin board, or tailor shop.
- Find and select the letter, bulletin, or tailor shop design you wish to report and press - on the left Joy-Con.
- Select "Report".
- Enter what prompted your report and press "Next".
- If you have any other details, write them in and select "Report".
Design terminal custom design
- Go to the design terminal in the tailor shop.
- Select Access the kiosk.
- Use Search by Creator ID or Search by Design ID to find the item to report.
- Press - on the left Joy-Con and select "Report".
- Choose your report reason and press "Next".
- Write in details of why you're reporting and select "Report".
Player profile or behavior
- Press - on your left Joy-Con at any point while playing with another player online.
- To report behavior just select "Report" from the menu that pops up there. To report their profile, go to View another's passport first then select "Report".
- Select the reason for your report and press "Next".
- Enter your details and select "Report".
- Open your Nook Phone.
- Select the message you want to report and press - on your left Joy-Con.
- Choose "Report".
- Choose your report reason and press "Next".
- Put any details in and select "Report".
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
If you encounter negative behavior, names, or cheating on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, there is reporting within the game. This isn't surprising given the tournament popularity of this title. To report someone you played online, simply follow these steps:
- On the main menu select "Vault".
- Select the Records square.
- Click Past Opponents.
- Go to the player you want to report and press A to Report.
- Select your reason for the report.
- Enter the details of your report and select report at the bottom to submit.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Currently, the only way to report players in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is through their customer support number. Many players have complained about the inability to report cheaters on the Switch in this game on the Nintendo forums and have listed instances of cheating and inappropriate behavior. Hopefully, Nintendo adds reporting features for this soon.
Pokémon Sword and Shield
Pokémon Sword and Shield is, unfortunately, another case where reporting isn't available. However, the game has been fixed for some early game issues that were arising and is being monitored for hacked Pokémon. This is another area where Nintendo is really lacking a much-needed reporting feature and we hope it will be added.
A few third-party games, such as Rocket League, Overwatch, and Fortnite, have internal report buttons that you can use to report cheaters. For those, you'll need to follow whatever protocol is designated in that specific game for reports.
Any questions about the report system?
There are still very few ways to report cheaters on the Switch, but if you have an issue for something not listed here, your best option may be to reach out to Nintendo directly on their support line.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!