Pebble, the E-Paper smart watch for iPhone (and Android), has sent word that they've begun shipping their first set of orders. Before you get too excited, it's an incredibly limited shipment, less than 500 units today, with more to follow. But still, progress. Here are the production notes they emailed backers and posted on their Kickstarter page:
- As of today, the factory is manufacturing roughly 800-1,000 Pebbles per day. We're working hard to get this up to our full capacity (2.4k per day)
- We are shipping master cartons of Pebbles by air freight across the Pacific to our US distribution center 1-2 times per week, and 1-2 times per week to our Hong Kong distribution center which fulfills shipments to any country that isn't the US. There is a 5-7 day lag between a Pebble coming off the assembly line, and it arriving in a fulfillment center for shipping.
- Right now, we're manufacturing in large batches of 1 colour at a time. Since black was by far the most popular colour, we started with a run of black Pebbles. I realize that this is different than what I said before...while we would have liked to be able to ship out all the colours at the exact same time, it's proven to be impossible. We're doing our best to match production of other colors as soon as possible.
To help expectant Pebble owners track their shipments, they set up http://www.ispebbleshipping.com.
Also, the companion app for iPhone, which will let Pebble owners update software and change watch faces, just went live in the App Store.
- Notifies you when software updates for Pebble ready to install
- Installs and remove custom watchfaces onto your Pebble
- Sends ping test messages to your Pebble
- Helps you troubleshoot issues
The app is free but only works when you have the actual Pebble watch in your possession. (Though there's nothing to stop you playing around with it while you wait...)
- Free - Download now
If you ordered a Pebble, let me know which one, when it ships, and what you think of their fulfillment process so far.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Apple's market cap surpasses value of Germany's entire DAX index
Apple's share price has jumped in pre-market trading, pushing Apple's market cap value past that of Germany's entire DAX index.
Dropbox for iPhone and iPad has been updated to support dark mode
Popular cloud storage app Dropbox has now updated its iPhone and iPad app to support dark mode.
iPhone 11 was the best seller each and every week of the holiday quarter
Apple held its quarterly earnings call yesterday and it turns out tons of people bought iPhone 11.
Protect your Fitbit Versa from wear and tear with a screen protector
There are tons of options to choose from when it comes to saving your Fitbit Versa screen. From completely protective cases to protectors that only cover the screen, you may be searching the web for a bit. We were able to round up the best options you can purchase.