Don Melton, former Engineering Director of Internet Technologies at Apple, talks about his non-browser-based passions - Blu-Ray, transcoding, H.264, and managing massive amounts of media. Warning: Contains extreme nerdery.
- transcode-video.sh: Don Melton's shell script for OS X to transcode a video file (works best with Blu-ray or DVD rip) into MP4 (or optionally Matroska) format, with configuration and at bitrate similar to popluar online downloads. Requires
- detect-crop.sh: Don Melton's shell script for OS X to detect crop values for a video file to use with
- convert-mp4-to-mkv.sh: Don Melton's shell script for OS X to convert an MP4 video file into Matroska format with a single audio track. Requires
- HandBrake and HandBrakeCLI: Convert video from nearly any format.
- HandBrake and HandBrakeCLI: nightly builds.
- MediaInfo: Display technical and tag data for video and audio files.
- MKVToolNix: Tools for Matroska, including
- MPlayer: Media utilities and player.
- Homebrew: Package manager for OS X to install MPlayer, MediaInfo and MKVToolNix.
- MakeMKV: Convert/rip video that you own into the portable and open Matroska format.
- OpenELEC (Open Embedded Linux Entertainment Center)
- X264 Settings
- Scene Rules: warez)
Yell at us via the Twitter accounts above (or the same names on ADN). Loudly.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Gold iPhone 12 Pro buyers get a special fingerprint-resistant coating
It turns out that there might be one iPhone 12 Pro to rule them all, and it's coated in gold. Sort of.
The Fluora LED Houseplant adds magic to any home, no green thumb needed
Want to add a touch of magic to your home? Then you should check out the Fluora LED Magic Houseplant, live now on Kickstarter until November 20, 2020.
This AirTags video shows how awesome colorful little pucks could be
AirTags are surely going to be announced eventually, but will they come in different colors? Let's hope so!
Shoot like a pro (even if you're not) with these great iPhone camera lenses
The iPhone already has a pretty great camera, but you can make videos and photo look even better with these cool lenses and kits! Here are some of our favorites on the market.