Daily Tip: How to make a FaceTime video call
Just get a new iPhone 4 or iPod touch (2010) and curious how make a video call with FaceTime? There are several different ways to initiate a FaceTime call: you can do so from contacts or messages, during a voice call, or speak the command with Voice Control. One thing to keep in mind is that you must be connected to WiFi in order to use FaceTime. To find out how, follow us after the break!
Initiate a FaceTime call via Contacts
- Open Contacts
- Select the contact you would like to have a FaceTime call with
- Scroll to the bottom of the contact info
- Tap FaceTime
Initiate a FaceTime call during a phone call
- Start a phone call
- Tap FaceTime from the call screen
Initiate a FaceTime call via Messages (iOS 4.2)
- Open Messages
- Select the conversation with the contact you wish to have a FaceTime call with
- Scroll to the top of the conversation (tap the time at the top of the screen)
- Tap FaceTime
Initiate a FaceTime call with Voice Control (iOS 4.2)
- Hold down home button to activate Voice Control
- Say "FaceTime [contact]"
- (How to use Voice Control)
Add a FaceTime contact to your favorite
- Open Contacts and select the desired contact
- Scroll to the bottom and tap "Add to Favorites"
- Select the appropriate phone number/email address
- If the phone number is not already on your Favorites list, then you will be prompted to select Voice Call or FaceTime. Select FaceTime.
- If the phone number is already on your Favorites list, then it will automatically be added as a FaceTime call
- FaceTime favorites will be marked with a movie icon
Bonus Jailbreak tip: My3G can let you FaceTime over the 3G network when you're not on Wi-Fi. Just keep an eye on your data usage!
There you have it! You are now ready to have a FaceTime conversation with your friends and family. Keep in mind that the recipient must also have an iPhone 4 or an Apple ID associated with an iPod touch (2010) or have installed the beta for FaceTime for Mac. Now go, have fun!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)