Brand new to iPhone and wondering how to set a ringtone? This is a great way to personalize your iPhone to reflect you, especially if you make your own custom ringtone. To find out how, follow along after the break!
Setting a new default ringtone
- Launch Settings
- Tap "Sounds"
- Tap "Ringtone"
- If you have any custom ringtones, they will be listed first, followed by the 25 standard ringtones
- Tap the ringtone you would like to use or listen to (Warning: when you do this, the ringtone will be played through your iPhone's speakers, even in silent mode)
- A checkmark will appear next to the selected ringtone
Setting a new individual ringtone
Changing an individual contact's SMS/Text tone
To set a personalized ringtone for an individual contact:
- Launch the Contacts app (or Phone app and choose the Contacts tab)
- Scroll to the contact you want to personalize
- Tap on their name to bring up their contact page
- Tap edit
- Tap on Ringtone
- Choose a new tone
There you have it! Now you know to set a new ringtone on your iPhone. If you have any questions, let us know in the comments below!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to [email protected]. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)