Home Sharing is a great way to stream content from your Mac right to your Apple TV. It lets you quickly and easily get anything from the iTunes library on your desktop to the HDTV without it having to be on Apple's servers, like iTunes in the Cloud, or you having to be at your computer, like AirPlay. It's an older feature, more pull than push, but for home movies, personal video collections, ripped CDs, and more, it still works great. Here's how!
How to set up and start using Apple TV Home Sharing
- Click on the Settings icon from the main menu of your Apple TV.
- Scroll down and click on Computers.
- Now choose Enable Home Sharing.
- Either enter your Apple ID when prompted or confirm that the Apple ID already associated with your Apple TV is the one you'd like to use.
If you find that it isn't working or your computer isn't showing up, be sure your Mac has Home Sharing enabled in iTunes and that you're on the same network. Once it's set up, you can even use the Apple Remote app for iPhone or iPad to easily browse and choose from your iTunes library.
How to get more help with your Apple TV
If you need any additional help or have specific questions check out our Apple TV Forum!
- How to automatically set up your Apple TV using an iPhone or iPad
- How to manually set up your Apple TV using the hardware remote
- How to use VoiceOver on your Apple TV
- How to pair an Apple remote with your Apple TV
- How to use shortcuts on your Apple TV remote
- How to access the chapter menu on the Apple TV
- How to control your Apple TV with the Remote app for iPhone or iPad
- How to control your Apple TV with your Apple Watch
- How to pair and control your Apple TV with a Bluetooth Keyboard
- How to hide channels on your Apple TV main menu
- How to AirPlay video from your iPhone or iPad to your Apple TV
- How to use Control Center to AirPlay videos to your Apple TV
- How to use AirPlay to mirror your iPhone or iPad screen to your Apple TV
- How to use AirPlay to mirror your Mac screen to your Apple TV
- How to watch iTunes Extras on your Apple TV
- How to use Home Sharing to access your iTunes library on your Apple TV
- How to manually check for software updates on an Apple TV
- How to fix a glitchy Apple TV by restoring it to factory settings
- How to fix a bricked Apple TV by restoring it with iTunes