When there's an update available for the Apple TV you'll get a popup notification telling you about it. However, you might be in a hurry to watch a movie, listen to music, or do something else when it happens, and you may not want to stop and do the update right then and there. Luckily, you can check for and apply Apple TV software updates at any time. Here's how!
How to manually check for and install Apple TV software updates
- From the main menu of your Apple TV, click on Settings.
- Now click on General.
- Scroll down in the list and click on Software Updates.
- Now click on Update Software.
- If there's an update available you can install it now. If there isn't, you'll see a message saying your software is up to date, which is what I can see in the images below.
That's it. If you had an update, just let the Apple TV do its thing and install the update. Just be sure not to disconnect it during the update process. If you do accidentally, you can restore it in iTunes to fix it.
How to get more help with your Apple TV
If you need any additional help or have specific questions check out our Apple TV Forum!
- How to automatically set up your Apple TV using an iPhone or iPad
- How to manually set up your Apple TV using the hardware remote
- How to use VoiceOver on your Apple TV
- How to pair an Apple remote with your Apple TV
- How to use shortcuts on your Apple TV remote
- How to access the chapter menu on the Apple TV
- How to control your Apple TV with the Remote app for iPhone or iPad
- How to pair a Bluetooth keyboard with your Apple TV
- How to hide channels on your Apple TV main menu
- How to AirPlay video from your iPhone or iPad to your Apple TV
- How to use Control Center to AirPlay videos to your Apple TV
- How to use AirPlay to mirror your iPhone or iPad screen to your Apple TV
- How to use AirPlay to mirror your Mac screen to your Apple TV
- How to watch iTunes Extras on your Apple TV
- How to use Home Sharing to access your iTunes library on your Apple TV
- How to manually check for software updates on an Apple TV
- How to fix a glitchy Apple TV by restoring it to factory settings
- How to fix a bricked Apple TV by restoring it with iTunes