How to pair an individual Apple remote with your Apple TV
Whether you've still got an older Mac running Front Row or have multiple Apple TV boxes in your home, sometimes pairing each remote with specific boxes is a good idea so signals don't get crossed. Or maybe you don't want someone in the next room taking your remote if they lose their own. Here's how to pair it with a specific Apple TV!
How to paid your remote with your Apple TV
- From the main menu of your Apple TV, click on the Settings icon.
- Now click on General.
- Scroll down and select Remotes.
- With the remote you'd like to pair, click on Pair Remote
- You'll see a small remote icon in the upper left showing the pairing progress. When it's done, Pair Remote will turn into Unpair Remote, which you can do any time you'd like to reverse the pairing.
That's all there is to it. That specific Apple TV unit and that single remote will only work with each other. You can unpair them at anytime by repeating the same process again.
How to get more help with your Apple TV
If you need any additional help or have specific questions check out our Apple TV Forum!
- How to automatically set up your Apple TV using an iPhone or iPad
- How to manually set up your Apple TV using the hardware remote
- How to use VoiceOver on your Apple TV
- How to pair an Apple remote with your Apple TV
- How to use shortcuts on your Apple TV remote
- How to access the chapter menu on the Apple TV
- How to control your Apple TV with the Remote app for iPhone or iPad
- How to pair a Bluetooth keyboard with your Apple TV
- How to hide channels on your Apple TV main menu
- How to AirPlay video from your iPhone or iPad to your Apple TV
- How to use Control Center to AirPlay videos to your Apple TV
- How to use AirPlay to mirror your iPhone or iPad screen to your Apple TV
- How to use AirPlay to mirror your Mac screen to your Apple TV
- How to watch iTunes Extras on your Apple TV
- How to use Home Sharing to access your iTunes library on your Apple TV
- How to manually check for software updates on an Apple TV
- How to fix a glitchy Apple TV by restoring it to factory settings
- How to fix a bricked Apple TV by restoring it with iTunes
Have something to say about this story? Share your comments below! Need help with something else? Submit your question!