Apple TV remote: 7 amazing shortcuts you need to know!
Ever been stuck deep down inside Netflix on the Apple TV and wished there was a way to instantly jump all the way back to the main Home screen? Ever been frustrated by fast forward going too slow or too fast and wished you could simply skip chapter by chapter instead? Ever had Home screen icons disappear or services say they're not available and wished you could reboot with only a couple of clicks? Well, you can! The little aluminum remote that comes with the Apple TV might not seem like much but there are a lot of options hidden behind those buttons. Here are some of the best!
- How to instantly jump back to the Apple TV Home screen
- How to put your Apple TV to sleep with one button press
- How to jump through video chapters on Apple TV
- How to quickly pair and unpair an Apple TV remote
- How to reset your Apple TV in two button presses
- How to mark episodes as watched or unwatched with the Apple TV remote
- How to reorder channels with the Apple TV remote
Hold down the Menu button until your Apple TV returns to the main menu.
Hold down the Play/Pause button for five seconds or until your Apple TV goes to sleep.
- Press the Down button on your Apple TV remote while playing back a video.
- Now press Left or Right in order to skip forward or back chapters.
Apple's site notates that if the video you're playing doesn't have chapter markers, the Apple TV will skip through in increments of 30 seconds or 1/20 of the entire length. Whichever is longer.
Hold down the Menu button and Right button together for six seconds to pair an Apple TV remote. If you want to unpair a remote, hold down the Menu button and the Left button together for six seconds.
Hold down the Menu button and the Down button together for six seconds.
If a reset doesn't work, you may need to restore it in iTunes instead.
Highlight the show you'd like to mark as watched or unwatched and hold down the Select button until the status changes. It's worth noting that this only works with iTunes tv shows that are rented or purchased. It doesn't currently work with third party services Netflix or Hulu Plus, unfortunately.
Highlight the channel you'd like to move and hold down the Select button until you see the channel wiggle. Then use the Left and Right buttons to move it where you'd like. Press the Select button to drop it there.
How to get more help with your Apple TV
If you need any additional help or have specific questions check out our Apple TV Forum!
- How to automatically set up your Apple TV using an iPhone or iPad
- How to manually set up your Apple TV using the hardware remote
- How to use VoiceOver on your Apple TV
- How to pair an Apple remote with your Apple TV
- How to use shortcuts on your Apple TV remote
- How to access the chapter menu on the Apple TV
- How to control your Apple TV with the Remote app for iPhone or iPad
- How to pair a Bluetooth keyboard with your Apple TV
- How to hide channels on your Apple TV main menu
- How to AirPlay video from your iPhone or iPad to your Apple TV
- How to use Control Center to AirPlay videos to your Apple TV
- How to use AirPlay to mirror your iPhone or iPad screen to your Apple TV
- How to use AirPlay to mirror your Mac screen to your Apple TV
- How to watch iTunes Extras on your Apple TV
- How to use Home Sharing to access your iTunes library on your Apple TV
- How to manually check for software updates on an Apple TV
- How to fix a glitchy Apple TV by restoring it to factory settings
- How to fix a bricked Apple TV by restoring it with iTunes
Have something to say about this story? Share your comments below! Need help with something else? Submit your question!