Animoiji is Apple's iPhone X-only animated emoji feature for Messages that allows you to send a funny fox, snarky chicken, or singing panda to any of your contacts. Your facial features, creativity, and the (currently set to) 10-second timer are your only limits.
Recently Apple has introduced Memoji as well, which is the same thing but instead of a cute and cuddly unicorn or high-powered robot, you create an avatar that looks just like you.
Memoji lets users create 3D avatars of themselves that you can use in a similar way to Animoji. The only difference is that your 3D buddy on screen looks like you! (Animoji and Memoji: Everything you need to know)
How to create and send Animoji and Memoji
You can create and send Animoji and Memoji from right inside the iPhone X Messages apps.
The feature is integrated into iMessage apps and accessible from the App button. Just tap it, choose your Animoji avatar, record, and send.
How to share Animoji and Memoji
You need an iPhone X to create Animoji and Memoji — yes, really — but your friends, family, and colleagues don't need one to receive them or to re-share them!
- How to share Animoji to social networks
- How to save Animoji to your Camera Roll
- How to share Animoji from your Camera Roll
How to make Animoji and Memoji Karaoke
Animoji and Memoji Karaoke is really more like Animoji or dubsmash or whatever it is we're calling lipsyncing these days. You play some music, you move your mouth, and your iPhone X turns it into an animated emoji singing a song. It can be as simple as mouthing along to a song or as complex as a multi-layer video edit.
Animoji and Memoji problems and how to fix them
You can use Animoji and Memoji to send fun, sweet, salty messages to friends with your facial expressions perfectly matched to a dog, cat, unicorn, robot, you… even poop! At least, that's the hope when it works. What do you do when your Animoji and Memoji go bad? When they freeze or fail to track your face? When they skip or just plain stop?
- What if Animoji won't match your head movements or facial expressions?
- What if Animoji stutters or freezes while you're trying to record?
- What if your Animoji don't send?
These are all the amazing things you can do with Animoji and Memoji!
Whether it's using Animoji or Memoji for some fun-time karaoke, using Animoji or Memoji as the perfect reaction GIF, or even pairing Animoji or Memoji with your favorite movie scenes of all time, people are getting creative with these exclusive iPhone X features in more and more ways every single day.
- Animoji and Memoji karaoke! (Does that rhyme? Kinda…)
- Movies + Animoji / Memoji = 🙌🏼
- Make your own reaction GIFs!
Best third-party uses for Animoji and Memoji
On top of sending messages and making hilarious videos, there are actually a couple of really cool things you can do with Animoji and Memoji! Check out some third-party uses and get creative with your Animoji-self!
- The power of Twitter compels you!
- Attention Instagram: It's not you, it's me… as an alien...
- Forget sexting with iMessage: try Animoji-ing
- Your favorite film quotes have never been cuter
How to use Animoji and Memoji in FaceTime and Messages
Looking at how to get the most out of Animoji and Memoji through FaceTime and Messages? There are a few steps you can take in order to become an Animoji and Memoji pro!
- How to enable others to take a Live Photo of you during a FaceTime video chat
- How to take a Live Photo of a FaceTime video chat
- How to tell if someone has taken a Live Photo of you while using FaceTime
- How to revoke permission for allowing Live Photos of you during FaceTime video chats
- How to use Animoji, filters, and other effects on a FaceTime call in iOS 12
Your Animoji and Memoji questions?
Got any comments, questions, eye-rolls-so-hard about Animoji and Memoji? Drop them in the comments below!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
More smartphone makers to follow Apple in ditching headphones from boxes
A recent DigiTimes report includes an indication that more smartphone makers will follow Apple's lead in ditching headphones from their smartphone boxes, a move that will benefit sales of true wireless products.
The MagSafe Charger may leave a circular imprint on leather iPhone cases
According to a new Apple Support document, the company is warning those who use a leather case with their iPhone of potential imprints.
Apple Stores get huge neon window dressing to celebrate iPhone 12 launch
Some Apple Stores now have some huge, neon window dressings as the company releases iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro to the world.
Your iPhone X isn't invincible — check out these waterproof cases
Your iPhone X may be water-resistant, but if you plan on taking it near water or right in the pool with you, then consider these cases.