Apple announced a lot at its iPhone event. There are new iPhones, iPads, and the first major hardware overhaul for the Apple TV since 2010. We also got some new bands for the Apple Watch, along with a new gold color option for the Apple Watch Sport.
Here are the biggest announcements from Apple's "Hey Siri" event.
iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are the latest generation of Apple's smartphone. The new phones retain the look of last year's iPhone 6 line, including 4.7- and 5.5-inch displays. Powered by Apple's new A9 system-on-a-chip, the 6s lineup features a new 3D Touch display, a 12-megapixel camera with 4K video recording, and always-on voice detection for Siri.
- Apple makes the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus official
- 3D Touch allows for new interactions on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus
- The A9 processor on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus is 70% faster than the A8 chip
- iPhone 6s and 6s Plus coming September 25 starting at $199; pre-orders start September 12
Apple's iPad Pro is the company's largest tablet to date. It features a 12.9-inch Force Touch display, along with a powerful new A9X system-on-a-chip. The iPad Pro also supports Apple's brand new stylus, which itself is built to work in concert with the iPad Pro's display.
- Apple officially announces the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, available in November starting at $799
- Apple's A9X processor is the beast powering the iPad Pro
- Apple Pencil is a precision stylus made for the iPad Pro
- Here's how much Apple's new iPad Pro will cost
- Microsoft to launch updated Office apps for iPad Pro and iOS 9
iPad mini 4
The iPad mini 4 is Apple's latest small tablet. As with previous models, this iPad mini features a 7.9-inch Retina display. The iPad mini 4 is powered by an Apple A8 system-on-a-chip, and will support iOS 9's split view, allowing two apps to run side by side.
- iPad mini 2 price lowered to $269; iPad mini 4 announced for $399
This new set-top box is the first major product overhaul the Apple TV has seen since 2010. Still a small black puck, though slightly bigger than the previous model, the new Apple TV comes along with a bright new interface, universal search, and support for third-party apps. It also comes along with a new, motion-sensitive Bluetooth remote with both a touchpad and buttons, including one for activating Siri.
- Apple unveils the new Apple TV with a new look, an App Store, and Siri
- New Apple TV remote features a touch surface and Siri button
- Apple announces tvOS, its platform for the Apple TV
- New Apple TV to include Siri support for faster searches and more
- Here's how much the new Apple TV will cost
Apple said today that iOS 9 will arrive on Wednesday, September 16. It will bring with it a more intelligent Siri, much improved search, a new, iCloud-powered Notes app, and several notable under-the-hood improvements. The Golden Master, or GM, build, will be available for developers at some point after the event.
Apple today announced that watchOS 2, the next version of the software that powers the Apple Watch, will arrive on Wednesday, September 16, with a GM release available today. It will bring with it support for native apps, third-party complications, and more. Additionally, Apple also announced several new watch bands, and a new gold color option for the Apple Watch Sport.
- WatchOS 2 lands on September 16
- Apple announces Hermès edition Apple Watch, more sport colors and bands
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Live transcript: Here's what Apple said at its Q4 20 earnings call
We're transcribing Apple's Q4 earnings call live. Catch up on everything being said.
Apple's latest macOS Big Sur beta mentions three unreleased Macs
The latest macOS Big Sur beta appears to reference three new, unreleased Macs. Could these be related to Apple silicon?
Review: This is the iPhone 12 you're looking for
The iPhone 12 is a complete redesign over the iPhone 11 and X before it, but is this the year to upgrade? Is a flat edge worth all this hubbub?
Automate your viewing habits with the best HomeKit TVs
HomeKit TVs are finally here, and they are awesome! Take your viewing experience to the next level with the best HomeKit TVs that are available now.