There's no getting around it: the AirPods are small. It's what happens when you chop the cord off a set of in-ear buds; they don't have much mass, and if you don't remember to store them in their pillbox case, you may find yourself frantically searching for an earbud or two.
Thankfully, if you've accidentally misplaced one of your AirPods, iOS 10.3 and Apple's Find My iPhone app will let you hunt it down as long as you're within Bluetooth range.
To start, you'll need both iOS 10.3 and the Find My iPhone app.
How to find missing AirPods earbuds
Note: This feature is primarily to locate individual missing AirPods earbuds — the AirPods case itself doesn't have speakers, and the earbuds themselves won't make a sound until they come within range of your iPhone.
- Open (or download, if you don't yet have it) Find My iPhone.
- Sign in with your iCloud account.
- Tap on the entry for your AirPods.
- Press Play Sound.
- Both earbuds will start making a triplicate chirp — quietly at first, then increasing in volume. If you're trying to find just one of the buds, you can mute the left or right earbud to focus in on finding the other earbud.
Still can't find your earbuds?
If your missing AirPods earbud is out of charge, you may be out of luck in locating it via the Find My iPhone app. That said, you can still go about finding it the old-fashioned way — back-tracking where you had them previously.
And if you've exhausted all other options, you can always pay a lost AirPods fee to Apple to get a new earbud — it's just $69 per lost bud.
Let us know below.
- Everything you need to know about AirPods
- AirPods, Beats X, or PowerBeats 3?
- Best way to buy AirPods
- How to personalize AirPods
- How to pair AirPods with W1
- How to pair AirPods with Bluetooth
- How to configure AirPods
- How to use AirPods
- How to use AirPods offline
- How to clean AirPods
- How to find lost AirPods
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Apple TV+ lands its biggest film yet
Apple TV+ has landed the right to 'Killers of the Flower Moon', a Martin Scorsese film starring Robert De Niro and Leonardo DiCaprio.
Anker just launched a $100 Lightning cable — it's as opulent as it sounds
Nothing says "I'm rich" like a 24K gold charging cable.
Review: FlexiSpot MonitorStand Workstation kills germs and more
FlexiSpot's MonitorStand Workstation raises your monitor or laptop to a more comfortable viewing angle. But it also offers a host of other features, including the ability to disinfect your iPhone and other items with a UV light underneath.
Protect your AirPods charging case with a case!
Your AirPods case is the perfect protection for your AirPods, but who protects the protectors?