Thanks to the "special magic" of the W1 or H1 chip, Apple's AirPods connect automatically to iPhone and, from there, to Apple Watch, and even iPad and Mac via iCloud. To pair with an Android phone or tablet, or Windows PC or tablet, you need to pair manually. The good news is, AirPods can pair with any devices that support Bluetooth headphones. Here's how!
- How to pair your AirPods with Android, Windows, or other devices
- AirPods vs Android: How Apple's headphones work cross-platform
How to pair your AirPods with Android, Windows, or other devices
The procedure for pairing your AirPods with your Android phone or tablet, with your Windows PC or tablet, or with any other device or gaming system, is the same as pairing any set of Bluetooth headphones.
- Pick up your AirPods charging case and open it.
- Press and hold the pairing button on the back of the case.
- Launch the Bluetooth settings on your device.
- Select AirPods from the list.
Confirm the pairing.
AirPods vs Android: How Apple's headphones work cross-platform
AirPods are pretty great for iPhone users — but what if you have Android devices in your midst?
I live in an all-Apple household with iPhones, Macs, iPads, and Apple TVs in my home. But I'm not exactly most people.
Many of my friends are in a different bubble: They may like their Macs and iPads, but they also use Android phones on a daily basis. It's easy to see why a product like Apple's AirPods appeals to people completely in Apple's sphere, but it's a harder sell to folks who live between device lines.
So Android Central managing editor Daniel Bader did just that, looking at how Apple's headphones interact with Android phones.
Any AirPods questions?
If you have any other questions about your AirPods, drop them below!
- Everything you need to know about AirPods
- AirPods, Beats X, or PowerBeats 3?
- Best way to buy AirPods
- How to personalize AirPods
- How to pair AirPods with W1
- How to pair AirPods with Bluetooth
- How to configure AirPods
- How to use AirPods
- How to use AirPods offline
- How to clean AirPods
- How to find lost AirPods