Hulu offers live TV content through its streaming app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. If you want access to live TV, you'll have to add them to your subscription. Here's how.
What is Hulu with Live TV?
Hulu offers live TV streaming from its supported apps. It works a little like Sling TV or AT&T Now. Starting at $55 per month, you have access to over 60 broadcast and cable channels, including live sports (some restrictions apply based on your location), plus the normal on-demand content that Hulu offers without the Live TV subscription.
It comes with 50 hours of Cloud DVR storage, which allows you to record live TV and watch it later in your My Stuff section. For $9.99 per month, you can upgrade to 200 hours of Cloud DVR storage and add the ability to fast forward through recorded commercials (not available with the base subscription).
You can stream Hulu with Live TV content from any supported device, including Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Xbox, iPhone and iPad, Android, and Windows Phone (and a lot more). Plus, dedicated apps for Mac and Windows are in the works.
With the base subscription, you can stream Hulu with Live TV on two separate devices simultaneously. For $9.99 per month, you can add Unlimited Screens, which lets you stream content from an unlimited number of devices connected to your home network or up to three devices outside of your local Wi-Fi range. There are also Disney Plus bundles available.
Get the app
If you already have a Hulu subscription, you probably already have the app, but if you're entirely new to Hulu, you'll need the app to get started.
The Hulu app is also available on Apple TV.
Sign up for Live TV
You can't sign up for Hulu's Live TV add-on from within the Hulu app. You'll have to do so from the official website, through mobile or otherwise.
- Navigate to signup.Hulu.com from your web browser.
- Log in with your regular Hulu email and password.
- Select Manage my Account.
- Choose Manage Plan next to your current plan under My Subscription.
- Tap View additional plans under your base plan section.
Scroll down to Hulu + Live TV and toggle the Switch to this plan switch on. You can also select Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV if you want to purchase the higher-priced plan with no ads. (You can also select from the list of Disney Plus bundles.)
- Choose a premium add-on. Available choices are HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and STARZ.
- Scroll down to Enhanced Cloud DVR and tap Switch Plan to Live TV to Unlock if you want to increase your Cloud DVR storage from 50 hours to 200 hours.
- Scroll down to Unlimited Screens and tap Switch Plan to Live TV to Unlock if you want to upgrade to be able to stream content simultaneously from more than two devices.
Choose Review Changes.
- Enter your zip code to determine your location (which finds which local content restrictions you will have).
- Tick the box to allow Hulu to create temporary recordings. This is required to be able to use Live TV, even if you never want to record anything.
Select Submit to confirm the changes.
Log out and back in to see the update
If you are already signed in to Hulu on Apple TV or Hulu with Live TV on your iPhone or iPad, you'll have to sign out and then sign back in, in order to see the changes.
Once you sign back in, you'll see the Live TV options under Networks in the Browse section. You'll also be able to tell when a movie or TV show is live when viewing its description under the Lineup and My Channels section.
Do you have any questions about how to sign up for or add on Hulu with Live TV? Put them in the comments and we'll help you out.
Updated February 2020: Includes pricing adjustments and new sign-up steps.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Jonathan Morrison and WOLF transform Apple's MagSafe sound into a song
Jonathan Morrison teamed up with WOLF to transform Apple's new MagSafe charging sound into an incredibly catchy song.
Photographer Austin Mann puts iPhone 12 Pro through its paces
Photographer Austin Mann puts the new iPhone through its paces every year and now it's been the turn of Apple's iPhone 12 Pro.
Gold iPhone 12 Pro buyers get a special fingerprint-resistant coating
It turns out that there might be one iPhone 12 Pro to rule them all, and it's coated in gold. Sort of.
Ditch the spotty Wi-Fi and go with the best Ethernet cables for Apple TV
If you want more stability and speed going to your Apple TV, then an Ethernet cable is the way to go. However, not all Ethernet cables are created equally—so we've put together some solid recommendations.