Netflix announces $100 million coronavirus fund
What you need to know
- Netflix has announced it has set up a $100 million fund amidst the coronavirus outbreak.
- The money will go towards "hardship in the creative community".
- Much of this money will go to workers on its own productions, but at least $15 million will go to third parties and non-profits.
Netflix has announced the creation of a $100 million coronavirus fund to help the creative community during the coronavirus pandemic.
In a press release Friday, March 20 it said:
Netflix says that "most" of the fund will go towards supporting the hardest-hit workers on its own productions worldwide. Netflix has already pledged two weeks' pay to cast and crew on all productions that it was forced to suspend last week. It has also said that $15 million of the fund will go to "third parties and non-profits providing emergency relief to out-of-work crew and cast" in countries where Netflix has a large presence.
It will also donate $1 million to the following:
- SAG-AFTRA Foundation Covid-19 Disaster Fund
- The Motion Picture and Television Fund
- The Actors Fund Emergency Assistance in the US
- $1 million between the AFC and Fondation des Artistes
Netflix's Chief Content Officer stated:
Get more iMore in your inbox!
Our news, reviews, opinions, and easy to follow guides can turn any iPhone owner into an Apple aficionado
Stephen Warwick has written about Apple for five years at iMore and previously elsewhere. He covers all of iMore's latest breaking news regarding all of Apple's products and services, both hardware and software. Stephen has interviewed industry experts in a range of fields including finance, litigation, security, and more. He also specializes in curating and reviewing audio hardware and has experience beyond journalism in sound engineering, production, and design.
Before becoming a writer Stephen studied Ancient History at University and also worked at Apple for more than two years. Stephen is also a host on the iMore show, a weekly podcast recorded live that discusses the latest in breaking Apple news, as well as featuring fun trivia about all things Apple. Follow him on Twitter @stephenwarwick9