Trainers completed a total of 24 global challenges during Pokémon Go Fest 2021 to gain access to Ultra Unlock Part Three: Sword and Shield. Hoopa caused quite a stir during the second day of the event, bringing back every Legendary Raid yet, and now it's back to cause even more mischief. An entire generation ahead, Hoopa will be bringing a handful of Galarian Pokémon during the final Ultra Unlock event! Fortunately, we here at iMore have everything you need to know to get the most out of this event and be sure to check out our best Pokémon Go accessories so you can be fully equipped on your Pokémon Journey!
What are Ultra Unlock Bonuses?
As is tradition with Pokémon GO Fest events, Ultra Unlock bonuses are rewards players can earn for everyone by completing challenges. Throughout day one of Pokémon GO Fest 2021, Trainers had over 30 global challenges tied to the Rotating Habitats. Every eight challenges that were completed by players around the world earned one additional Ultra Unlock event week for a total of three events.
The first two Ultra Unlocks focused on Time, with the debut of Shiny Dialga, and Space, with the debut of Shiny Palkia. This led many to speculate that the final Ultra Unlock would debut Arceus, while others suspected we would instead get Hoopa, who caused such a fuss during Pokémon Go Fest 2021. However, Niantic gave players a truly surprising twist skipping over Arceus, Hoopa, and the entirety of Gen VII.
Ultra Unlock part three: Sword and Shield
The final Ultra Unlock event theme has finally been announced, and much to the surprise of everyone, the theme is Sword and Shield. Ahead of the release of Gen VII's Alola region, trainers will be able to face two Legendary Pokémon from the Galar region, the mascots of Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, Zacian and Zamazenta!
Additionally, a handful of other Galarian Pokémon will also be making their debuts, as well as the Shiny forms for a number Galarian Regional Variants. The event will run from Friday, August 20, through Tuesday, August 31, 2021 and will be split into two week long events.
Pokémon with the potential to be Shiny are indicated with an asterisk.
The following Pokémon have increased spawns:
- Galarian Darumaka
The following Pokémon are hatching from 7KM Friend Eggs:
- Galarian Meowth*
- Galarian Ponyta*
- Galarian Slowpoke
- Galarian Farfetch'd*
- Galarian Zigzagoon*
- Galarian Darumaka
- Galarian Stunfisk*
There are two weeks of Raids for this event featuring the Legendary mascots Zacian and Zamazenta. These two will make their Pokémon Go debut in their Heroes of Many Battles forme, with Zacian appearing first from Friday August 20 through Thursday, August 26, followed by Zamazenta from Thursday, August 26 through Wednesday, September 1. Other Galarian Pokémon, Unown U, Snorlax, and Lapras are also appearing in Raids during the event.
Week one Raids
- Galarian Slowpoke (one star)
- Galarian Farfetch'd* (one star)
- Unown U* (one star)
- Galarian Zigzagoon* (one star)
- Galarian Weezing* (three star)
- Lapras* (three star)
- Machamp (three star)
- Zacian (five star)
- Mega Beedrill* (Mega)
Week two Raids
- Galarian Meowth* (one star)
- Galarian Ponyta* (one star)
- Unown U* (one star)
- Galarian Darumaka (one star)
- Snorlax* (three star)
- Galarian Stunfisk* (three star)
- Zamazenta (five star)
- Mega Pidgeot* (Mega)
During the event, Professor Willow needs help with Timed Research to earn encounters with Galarian Pokémon.
- Send five Gifts to Friends for five Great Balls
- Catch eight Pokémon for five Razz Berries
- Defeat two Team GO Rocket grunts for a Pikachu encounter
Completion Rewards: 888 XP, five Ultra Balls, ten PokéBalls
- Power up Pokémon five times for ten Super Potions
- Catch ten Pokémon for five Revives
- Battle in the Pokémon Go Battle League for a Meowth encounter
Completion Rewards: 888 XP, ten Ultra Balls
- Evolve two Pokémon for five Pinap Berries
- Catch five Normal type Pokémon for a Galarian Meowth encounter
- Defeat four Team GO Rocket grunts for a Butterfree encounter
Completion Rewards: 888 XP, five Ultra Balls, 15 PokéBalls
- Use ten Berries to help catch Pokémon for a Skwovet encounter
- Catch eight different species of Pokémon for a Galarian Farfetch'd encounter
- Win a Raid for a Gengar encounter
Completion Rewards: 888 XP, five Ultra Balls, ten Great Balls
- Earn 12 Hearts with your Buddy Pokémon for a Wooloo encounter
- Catch eight different species of Pokémon for a Galarian Stunfisk encounter
- Win a Raid in under one minute for a Snorlax encounter
Completion Rewards: Rare Candy, five Ultra Balls, 25 PokéBalls
During the event, players will be able to spin PokéStops and Gyms for event exclusive Field Research tasks to earn encounters with Skwovet, Wooloo, Falinks, and more!
- Defeat three Team GO Rocket grunts for a Galarian Farfetch'd encounter
- Earn five hearts with your Buddy Pokémon for a Wooloo encounter
- Spin ten PokéStops or Gyms for five PokéBalls
- Take a Snapshot of a Wild Pokémon for two Pinap Berries
- Use seven Berries to help catch Pokémon for a Skwovet encounter
- Win two Raids for a Falinks encounter
Players will be able to purchase new event exclusive Gift Stickers and Avatar Style items during the event:
- Galarian Gym Challenger uniform
- Dragon type sport uniform
- Dark type sport uniform
Questions about Ultra Unlock part three?
Do you have any questions about Ultra Unlock part three? Which Pokémon are you most excited for? Let us know in the comments below, and be sure to check out our Complete Pokédex, as well as our in depth coverage of Pokémon Go Fest 2021 so you too can become a Pokémon Master!
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Casian Holly has been writing about gaming at iMore since 2019, but their real passion is Pokémon. From the games to the anime, cards and toys, they eat, sleep, and breathe all things Pokémon. You can check out their many Pokémon Go and Pokémon Sword and Shield guides and coverage here on iMore.