- Episode 1: Road to the Big Windmill
- Episode 2: Down with Petey Piranha
- Episode 3: The Hillside Cave Secret
- Episode 4: Red Coins of Windmill Village
- Episode 5: Petey Piranha Strikes Back
- Episode 6: The Secret of the Dirty Lake
- Episode 7: Shadow Mario on the Loose
- Episode 8: Red Coins on the Lake
- 100 Coin Shine Sprite (Bianco Hills)
Sunshine got you beat? If you're playing through Super Mario Sunshine on Super Mario 3D All-Stars and are having a hard time, we've got your back. As you clean up Isle Delfino, you'll discover plenty of Shines among the many stages. Include secret Shine Sprites and you're looking at a total of 120 Shine Sprites. We've broken down our guide by courses followed with the complete list of secret Shines on the last page. Here's where you'll find all 120 Shine Sprites in Super Mario Sunshine.
Course 1: Bianco Hills
In Super Mario 3D All-Stars, you unlock Bianco Hills by defeating the second Polluted Piranha and stopping Shadow Mario from kidnapping Peach. When you defeat him, he'll run for the Pianta statue in the middle of Delfino Plaza and jump through the graffiti. Spray the graffiti to unlock the portal to Bianco Hills. See what makes this one of the best Nintendo Switch games of all time.
Episode 1: Road to the Big Windmill
At the start of the level, belly flop down the water slide and jump across the short water stream. Once across, use FLUDD to get on the ropes and use them to bounce over the white walls towards the lake. It's covered in brown goop — you can't miss it. Make your way towards the pile of goop shooting out brown balls and spray it down with water. A Polluted Piranha will spawn. Defeat it and earn yourself a Shine.
Episode 2: Down with Petey Piranha
Head back to the bridge you cleared from the previous episode. Head to the windmill and follow the trail of filth, spraying any goo you find along your way. When you get to the top of the windmill, jump on one of moving turbines platforms and ride it to the top to meet Petey.
Both you and Petey will go crashing through the roof and into the windmill. There's no escape now, you have to fight the overgrown plant. Wait for Petey's mouth to open, and then spray his mouth with water to fill him up. When he's ready to burst, he'll fall on his back. That's your cue to jump up and ground pound his belly. Do this three times, dodging his slime attacks every time, and the Shine is yours.
Episode 3: The Hillside Cave Secret
Head back to the bridge in front of the windmill, where you'll find a Pianta starring out towards the cave from the intro of level. Underneath, you'll see a couple of platforms, leading towards the cave. Using FLUDD's hover nozzle, jump down to that platforms and hop across, until you make it the hill. When you walk into the cave, a cinematic will play and Shadow Mario will swoop in, swiping FLUDD from Mario's back.
The follow course is a test of pure platforming prowess, as you'll have to manage the jumps without FLUDD's assist. Time your jumps and get pass the sets of moving blocks and you'll find a Shine waiting for you at the end.
Episode 4: Red Coins of Windmill Village
You'll need to collect all 8 of the level's Red Coins to get this Shine.
- The first Red Coin is between two ropes, right in front of the blue Nozzle Box. You'll see it as soon as you cross the stream at the start; it's just to the left.
- Use the ropes and bounce up to the second Red Coin on its roof.
- To the right, you'll see a third Red Coin on the arch of the white wall. Use the ropes to bounce up and grab it.
- Turn back around and you'll be able to spot the fourth Red Coin, this time on a slightly taller building. Do a spin jump or a wall jump to reach the rope and bounce up to it.
- From the fourth coin, follow the rope you just bounced off towards the cluster of white buildings, dodging the wire traps on the rope and the Wind Duppy circling nearby and grab the fifth Red Coin.
- You don't have to look far for the sixth Red Coin; it's in the doorway, right beneath the fifth coin. Turn back to town to find the last two coins.
- Head up to the top of the white wall and look towards the houses again. Spot the house with two pillars perpendicular to each other. Head to that, either by using the connecting ropes or using a combination of wall jumps and FLUDD. Once you are at the pillars, wall jump between them. The seventh Red Coin is on the roof.
- Nearby, you'll see two collapsed windmills with bridges attached. Jump onto one of the platforms and shoot water into the windmill turbines to move the bridge in position, and jump to the final Red Coin floating in between the two structures.
To collect the Shine, head back to the house with the two pillars. Jump on the roof of the pillar with a rope connected to it and follow the rope to the platform at the top.
Episode 5: Petey Piranha Strikes Back
Petey Piranha is back, and he's brought all of his gunk and goop to town. Follow the trail of brown goo towards to hill and climb it using FLUDD and a well-timed wall jump. You can also follow the connecting rope to get up, or if you're having trouble, use the Rocket Nozzle found in the Red Nozzle Box along the edge of the east wall. Once you're on the top of the hill, you'll see a fenced off area and Petey napping on a platform by himself. Near the fence, you'll spot some Poinks. Let one attach to FLUDD and fill it up with water and shoot it at Petey, waking him from his nap.
Petey Piranha learned a new trick this time and will start flying around town, shooting goo from the sky. Pick up another Poink and fling it at him. When it connects, he'll come crashing to the ground. Use the same technique you used before and fill him up with water and ground pound him when he's on his back. Do that three times, and Petey will be knocked down for good, earning you a Shine.
Episode 6: The Secret of the Dirty Lake
Head down to the lake and back towards the windmill, this time circling around to the back of it. You'll find a new opening, with gunk flowing from it, and a gray Nozzle Box containing a Turbo Nozzle. Jump to the opening and go through it. You'll be greeted to a cutscene of Shadow Mario swiping FLUDD off of your back.
You'll have to rely on your platforming skills to get to the Shine at the end. The first test involves flipping platforms. Watch the pattern and jump between the blue and red platforms. Once you're on the other side, collect the 1-Up mushroom on the star and stand on the cube. It'll start moving and rotating, so make sure you stay one step ahead of it.
Once you're off the cube, avoid the red triangles cutting across the walkway, and make it to the next cube. The next cube will begin to rotate like the other, so do you best to stay one step ahead of it. If you're fast, you can grab the 1-Up Mushroom that floats by. The next portion is tricky and brings back the flipping platforms. Watch the pattern in which they flip and jump across until you make it to the final green platform. Walk down and collect your prize.
Episode 7: Shadow Mario on the Loose
Chase Shadow Mario down and spray him with water. It's as simple as that. Once he's had enough, he'll fall on his back and give up the shine.
Episode 8: Red Coins on the Lake
Most of the coins around the lake area are pretty high, so grab the Rocket Nozzle when you get the chance. It'll make things alot easier.
- The first Red Coin is between the ropes as you enter the lake.
- The second Red Coin is on the rope just above the Red Nozzle Box.
- Follow the rope higher still and find the third Red Coin.
- Use the rope to bounce up one more level or use the Rocket Nozzle. The fourth Red Coin is waiting there.
- Continue down the rope, dodging the enemies on and around the rope and you'll find the fifth Red Coin.
- The sixth Red Coin is on a rope that is seperated from the one you're currently on. Use the Rocket Nozzle or fling yourself from the rope to get to the correct rope. Once you're on, just bounce up and grab it.
- The seventh Red Coin is down below in between the platforms you crossed to get to the cave in episode 3.
- The 8th Red Coin is floating next to a lilipad nearby.
When that's done, the Shine will appear in the windmill.
100 Coin Shine Sprite (Bianco Hills)
You need to collect 100 coins to earn a Shine Sprite. Here are some tips:
- The easiest episode to get 100 coins on is Episode 3.
- Spray open all the flower rings.
- You three coins from ringing the bells, three coins from each Pokey, and one coin from every treetop.
- You can get a large chunk of coins by exploring the lake.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Zackery Cuevas is a writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. He likes playing video games, talking about video games, writing about video games, and most importantly, complaining about video games. If you're cool, you can follow me on Twitter @Zackzackzackery.