- The Hill Side Cave Red Coins
- Red Coins of the Dirty Lake
- Blooper Speed Run
- Red Coins of Ricco Harbor
- Dune Bud Sand Castle Red Coins
- Dune Bud Secret
- The Beach Cannon's Red Coins
- The Yoshi-Go-Round's Red Coins
- The Hotel Lobby's Red Coins
- The Red Coins of Casino Delfino
- The Shell's Red Coins
- Gold Bird of Noki Bay
- Red Coins of the Village Underside
- Brighter than the Sun
These are secret Shine Sprites found in each of the games 7 main course. There's two in every level.
Bianco Hills Secret Shines
The Hill Side Cave Red Coins
Start Episode 8 and go back to the cave that led you to the secret stage before. This time, you'll be able to keep FLUDD. Instead, you'll be tasked with collecting eight Red Coins before the time runs out.
- On the second moving platform at the start.
- On the bottom right corner when you get to the moving orange blocks.
- On the top right corner when you get to the moving orange blocks.
- On the bottom left corner when you get to the moving orange blocks.
- On the top left corner when you get to the moving orange blocks.
- On the spinning star to the right of the blocks that are circling the platform. Use FLUDD to get over.
- On the star right next to the sixth coin.
- On the spinning star to the left of the blocks that are circling the platform. Use FLUDD to make the jump.
The new Shine will appear right in front of the old one.
Red Coins of the Dirty Lake
Head back to Episode 6 and towards the back of the dirty lake. Back in the secret stage, you'll need to ground pound the red switch and collect the 8 Red Coins in 1:30 to get another Shine.
- The first Red Coin is floating in between the flipping platforms.
- The second Red Coin is on the spinning star.
- Another Red Coin is between the two red triangles.
- Ride the rotating cube and you'll run into the fourth Red Coin.
- Keep riding and the fifth Red Coin will make an appearance.
- The sixth Red Coin is waiting in the top left corner. Jump on the blue panel to get it
- Head to the middle and grab the seventh Red Coin
- The final Red Coin is in the bottom right corner, opposite of the sixth coin.
Head over and collect your prize.
Ricco Harbor Secret Shines
Blooper Speed Run
Replay Episode 2 and if you can get a better time than 40 seconds in the Blooper race, you'll earn another Shine.
Red Coins of Ricco Harbor
Head back to Episode 4 and head to the top of the tower at Ricco Harbor. When you reenter the secret stage, ground pound the red switch and start the time.
- The first Red Coin is on the second rotating wooden block.
- The next Red Coin is hoveringabove the fourth rotating wooden block.
- Wall jump between the gray walls to collect the third Red Coin.
- Wall jump between the gray walls to collect the fourth Red Coin.
- The fifth Red Coin is float above the second rotating cog.
- The sixth Red Coin is floating above the second tilted wooden block.
- Continue hopping along the wooden blocks to get the seventh Red Coin.
- The final Red Coin is on the second to last wooden block.
The Shine is all yours.
Gelato Beach Secret Shines
Dune Bud Sand Castle Red Coins
Replay Episode 1 and enter the sandcastle that leads to the secret stage. Run through the first row of sand blocks and trigger the red switch. You have one minute to grab all of the Red Coins.
- The first Red Coin appears on the next row of sand blocks.
- The second coin is up ahead on the orange block.
- The third Red Coin is at the end of the sand block path.
- The fourth Red Coin is on the lower left-hand corner on the orange blocks.
- The fifth Red Coin is on the lower right-hand corner on the orange blocks.
- Red Coin six is right in the middle, hovering above set of orange blocks.
- Climb up and to the orange block on the right for the seventh Red Coin.
- On the opposite end, you'll find the last coin.
After that, the Shine is yours.
Dune Bud Secret
Replay Episode 8 and head over to the reflective panels. Find the sprout in between the panels and spray it with water, which will create a staircase leading down. Spray the wall at the bottom to reveal a Shine.
Pinna Park Secret Shines
The Beach Cannon's Red Coins
Head back to Episode 2 and back into Monty Mole's cannon. Once inside, stomp on the red switch on the Yoshi block. You have a minute to collect all eight Red Coins.
- The first Red Coin is immediately to the left.
- Red Coin two is toward the center nearby.
- The third Red Coin is at thelower right-hand corner.
- Red Coin four is in the center towards the top.
- The fifth Red Coin is at the top right corner.
- Red Coin six is at the top left corner.
- The seventh Red Coin is at the top of the next level after you bounce up the trampoline pads.
- The final coin is right down the path of disappearing red blocks.
With that, the secret Shine is all yours.
The Yoshi-Go-Round's Red Coins
Replay Episode 5, and reenter the secret stage using a orange Yoshi. Once inside, jump pass the rotating blocks and ground pound the red switch. This time you have two minutes to collect all of the Red Coins.
- The first Red Coin is on the left side, underneath the dark green arch.
- The second Red Coin is right next to it, under the blue arch.
- Wall jump between the orange blocks in the next section to get Red Coin three.
- Red Coin four is right by coin three.
- The fifth Red Coin is on the brown block at the top.
- From here, you'll be able to see the sixth Red Coin underneath an orange block.
- Red Coin seven is right across from it.
- The final Red Coin is hovering in the corner. Jump on the orange block and ride it up to collect it.
Be careful not to fall as you run over to collect the secret Shine.
Sirena Beach Secret Shines
The Hotel Lobby's Red Coins
Go back to Episode 2 and reenter the secret stage. Head through the first part as you normally would. Once you break passed the brown blocks, you'll find the red switch. Ground pound it and start the timer. You'll have 1:30 to collect all of the Red Coins.
- The first Red Coin is at the start.
- The next Red Coin is just ahead of it.
- The third Red Coin is floating about the next set of sand blocks.
- The fourth Red Coin is floating about the watermelon block.
- Red Coin five is underneath the ice cube blocks near the back of the block structure you're standing on. Jump down, using FLUDD to make sure you don't miss it.
- The sixth Red Coin is floating above the sand structure as soon as you jump off of the wooden cog.
- Red Coin seven is to the right on the bottom row.
- The final coin is on the opposite side.
The Red Coins of Casino Delfino
Return to Episode 4 and head back into casino. Play the games and get access to the secret stage again. Time is short on this run — you'll have one minute to collect all of the Red Coins once you press the red switch.
- The first Red Coin is between the two moving cubes.
- The next Red Coin is floating over the moving block. Ride the block and jump up to grab it.
- Red Coin three is between the moving cubes in the next area
- The fourth Red Coin is floating over the rotating cube.
- Red Coin five is floating above the moving wooden pegs.
- The sixth Red Coin is on the following peg.
- Red Coin seven is on the following peg.
- The final coin is floating above the rotating wooden block
Noki Bay Secret Shines
The Shell's Red Coins
Head back to episode 6 and reenter the special stage through the shell. Make it pass the first few obstacles and smash the red switch to start the timer.
- The first Red Coin is floating near the switch.
- The next Red Coin is between the two moving platforms.
- The third coin is floating near the pole you climb to get to the next level. Jump from the wall or wall jump to collect it.
- Red Coin four is on top of the red ramp.
- Red Coin five is between two nails, right next to the green glass.
- The next coin is floating on the next level.
- Red Coin seven is floating right before the spinning wooden block.
- The final coin is on the opposite end of the wooden block.
Gold Bird of Noki Bay
Enter any of the episodes that have clean water to get this Shine. From the start, head to the area where the grandpa Noki told you about the ancient king's treasure. Head to a green arch and wall jump between the walls. You'll jump into a secret path. Follow the path to another opening. When you jump into the new opening, you'll be shot up to the top of the cliff, with nothing but a tree and a gold bird. Spray the bird to get the shine.
Pianta Village Secret Shines
Red Coins of the Village Underside
Head back to Episode 5 and enlist Yoshi's help again to get back into the secret stage. Once in the stage, hit the red switch and start the timer.
- The first Chuckster will throw you through the first Red Coin.
- The next Chuckster will be kind enough to toss you to the next Red Coin.
- Red Coin three is on the next platform.
- The fourth Red Coin is right next to it.
- Turn around and hover to the rope behind the platform. Grab the fifth Red Coin in the middle.
- Red Coin six is between the flaming Pianta.
- Use the Chuckster to get back to the main course and jump across to nab Red Coin seven.
- Jump up one more level and grab the final coin.
And with that, the Shine is yours.
Brighter than the Sun
Replay Episode 8 and head to the giant palm tree in the back of the village (the one you ran to when you raced II Piantisimo. Use FLUDD to hop onto the giant palm tree leaf and towards the tower with the emblem of the sun on it. You'll know it because a Red Coin is sitting on top of it.
Stand on the emblem and aim FLUDD at the sun. Spray it down and the Shine is yours.
All Shine Sprites in Super Mario Sunshine
Wahoo! You did it! Now you know where and how to acquire every Shine Sprite in Super Mario Sunshine. If you want help with Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy, we have guides for those games as well.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Zackery Cuevas is a writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. He likes playing video games, talking about video games, writing about video games, and most importantly, complaining about video games. If you're cool, you can follow me on Twitter @Zackzackzackery.