Course 5: Big Boo's Haunt
To get to Big Boo's Haunt from the castle's front door, enter the door just to the right of the stairs then turn left down the long hallway. A Boo will go through the wall and out into the courtyard.
This is perhaps the most annoying course to enter. Several Boos are floating around Princess Peach's gardens at the back of the castle. One of them conceals a cage inside of it. Ground-pound this Boo to get it to drop the cage and then you can enter the course. You'll need to defeat this Boo every time you wish to enter Big Boo's Haunt.
Without further ado, here's how to get every Star at Big Boo's Haunt.
Star 1: Go on a Ghost Hunt
To get this Star, you need to defeat all of the six Boos in the mansion. Here's where you'll find all of the Boos:
- Head into the mansion and enter the first door on the right. Ground-pound the Boo to make it disappear.
- Platform across this first room and enter the door. Another Boo is waiting to be ground-pounded
- Go back to the main entryway and then head to the room on the left of the entrance. You'll notice a large Boo poster. Hit the Blue ! Block to get a Vanish Cap and make it so you can walk through walls. Now, jump through the poster. You'll find two Boos in this room.
- While standing at the mansion's main entryway, head to the back left door. Defeat the Boo without getting hit by Mr. I.
- Big Boo will now appear in the main room. To defeat him, backflip into the air when he's near and then ground-pound him three times. The Star will appear once he's gone.
Star 2: Ride Big Boo's Merry-Go-Round
Instead of heading into the mansion, take an immediate left and enter the small shack. Now go to the back of the room and stand on the red elevator to take you down. Wind your way through this subterranean area until you find a door. Enter it and you'll find a spinning room with Boo posters on the wall.
Ground-pound each of the Boos that appears. Be careful as the walls shoot out fire. When the regular Boos have all been defeated, Big Boo will appear. Defeat him to earn your Star.
Star 3: Secret of the Haunted Books
Head into the mansion and immediately head up the stairs and go into the room on the back left. You'll find yourself in a library. Dodge the books and make your way to the end where three green books are sticking out of the shelf. Hit each of them in to make the bookcase slide.
Enter the door that has now been revealed and you'll be able to get your Star.
Star 4: Seek the 8 Red Coins
You'll need to collect all eight Red Coins from Big Boo's Haunt to get this Star. Here's where they are.
- Upon entering the level, head into the mansion and enter the first door on the right. There's a Red Coin near the Boo.
- From the mansion's main entryway, go upstairs and head to the left door closest to the camera. There will be a grand piano inside. It will come to life and try to bite you. Get it to move away from the wall and you'll see a Red Coin.
- Continue through to the next door. Dodge the chairs being thrown at you and then backflip onto the bookshelf right next to the door to get a Red Coin.
- In this same room, you'll find another Red Coin on the other bookshelf. Backflip onto the shelf to pick it up.
- Head back to the main mansion entryway and then enter the door on the back right. Head around the bookshelf and you'll see a Red Coin. Be careful not to step on the trap door.
- Head back to the main room of the mansion and then enter the door on the right side of the upstairs back wall. You'll see a Mr. I in here. run around him quickly to make him spin and die. Now head further into the room and you'll see coffins. Head towards the first coffin on the right side to reveal a Red Coin.
- Now head to the middle coffin on the left to reveal another Red Coin.
- From the mansion's main room, enter the door on the upstairs left back wall. Jump across the grated flooring and you'll find a Red Coin.
Once you've gathered each of these Red Coins, a Star will appear on the second floor of the mansion's main room.
Star 5: Big Boo's Balcony
Enter the mansion and head up the stairs. Enter the door that's at the back of the right wall. Get on the wooden platform and then wall jump to the platform above the doorway. Head to the right and enter the double doors to get to the mansion's balcony.
You'll find Big Boo floating around out here. Backflip and then ground-pound him three times to make a Star appear on the roof above you. To get the Star, long jump to the rooftop on the right. Now, walk up to the very top of the mansion. Slide down to where the Star is.
Star 6: Eye to Eye in the Secret Room
Enter the mansion and head upstairs. Enter the room on the right. Wind your way through the room and the door being careful not to step on the trap door. You'll see a Blue ! Block in this room. Hit it to get a Vanish Cap and make it so you can walk through walls.
Now, quickly make your way back to the room with the trap door. Wind around the bookshelves and jump up to the platform above you. Enter the door and then head towards the camera and through the poster depicting a hiding Boo. You'll find a Mr. I in here. Run around him several times to make him dizzy and fall over. When he's dead a Star will appear.
Star 7: 100 Coin Power Star
You'll need to collect 100 Coins in the Big Boo's Haunt level to unlock this Star. Here are some tips on how to do it.
- Each time you defeat Boos you'll earn a Blue Coin. There are five regular Boos in the mansion and five regular Boos in the Merry-go-Round, which means you can add a total of 50 Coins to your tally just by doing this.
- Gather all of this level's Red Coins to quickly add 16 Coins to your total.
- There are rooms where fanged books pop out of the bookshelves. If you defeat these enemies, they will drop a Blue Coin.
- When you defeat a Mr. I it will drop a Blue Coin. There are two of these bad guys in the mansion.
Current page: Course 5: Big Boo's HauntPrev Page Course 4: Cool, Cool Mountain Next Page Course 6: Hazy Maze Cave
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Gaming aficionado Rebecca Spear is iMore's dedicated gaming editor with a focus on Nintendo Switch and iOS gaming. You’ll never catch her without her Switch or her iPad Air handy. If you’ve got a question about Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, or just about any other Nintendo series check out her guides to help you out. Rebecca has written thousands of articles in the last six years including hundreds of extensive gaming guides, previews, and reviews for both Switch and Apple Arcade. She also loves checking out new gaming accessories like iPhone controllers and has her ear to the ground when it comes to covering the next big trend.
Retiree lauds his Apple Watch for saving his life after it alerted him to an abnormally low heart rate
Switching to Apple Music from Spotify and others could be about to get easier with a new playlist and library importer
Future Apple Ring tipped to join the company's wearable category as Oura, Samsung, and others are placed on notice