An equalizer (EQ) can be a great tool to make any music sound better, and gives you the ability to customize the type of sounds you want. If you like more bass, more treble, or more of a vocal presence, the EQ on the iPhone can help you out. Heck, if you fool around with the EQ on your iPhone, you can even make those lower-quality headphones sound better.
Unfortunately, while the EQ on iPhone is pretty limited, that doesn't mean it doesn't have its uses. Here's what you need to know about using the EQ on the iPhone.
Only works through the Music app
The EQ on the iPhone only works for the sound being played through the Music app. That means it won't affect audio for your phone calls, Podcasts, Audiobooks, and other third-party apps such as YouTube. So, if you love a lot of bass, and choose to use the Bass Booster EQ preset for the Music app, any music you play through that Music app will get that boost in low-end you'd expect.
While the EQ doesn't affect other apps on your iPhone, as long as the audio is coming through the Music app, the EQ will do its work. So, if you have a great Bluetooth speaker that's blasting your favorite tunes, the EQ will still adjust the sound according to your preset.
EQ options on the iPhone
There are 22 options in total for the EQ on the iPhone, and they each do something slightly different. Here's a quick basic breakdown of what each EQ option does on the iPhone.
- Acoustic: Raises bass, high-mids, and treble tones by a little.
- Bass Booster: Raises bass tones and low-mids.
- Bass Reducer: Lowers bass tones and low-mids.
- Classical: Raise bass, lowers mids, and raises treble.
- Dance: Raises bass a lot and raises mids and treble tones moderately.
- Deep: Slightly raises bass and mids but lowers treble tones.
- Electronic: Raises the lowest tones, lowers mids, and slightly raises treble tones.
- Flat: Doesn't raise or lower any tones.
- Hip-Hop: Raises bass and lower mid-tones while lowering higher mid-tones and raising treble.
- Jazz: Raises bass, lowers mids, and raises treble.
- Latin: Raises bass, lowers mids, and raises treble tones significantly.
- Loudness: Raises bass, lowers mids to varying degrees, and slightly raises treble.
- Lounge: Lowers bass and raises mids.
- Piano: Raises everything slightly.
- Pop: Slightly lowers bass, raises mids, and slightly lowers trebles tones.
- R&B: Significantly raises bass, lowers mids, and slightly raise treble.
- Rock: Raises bass and treble.
- Small Speakers: Raises bass and lower mids while lowering high-mids and treble tones.
- Spoken Word: Lowers bass, raises mids, and slightly raises treble.
- Treble Booster: Raises treble and high-mids.
- Treble Reducer: Lowers treble and high-mids.
- Vocal Booster: Slightly lowers bass, raises mids, and slightly lowers treble.
The above descriptions are pretty basic, but give you a rough idea of what each preset does. The best way to hear how each one sounds is to try it out, so go nuts!
Other EQ options
While there are no other settings for the EQ on iPhone itself, some Bluetooth headphones have companion EQ adjusting apps that allow you to adjust the EQ for any sound coming through the headphones. This would give you the option to change the EQ for apps like YouTube.
If you don't know if your headphones have a companion app, try searching the App Store for the manufacturer and see what you can find. Companion apps for headphones have other great uses — like offering more customization options for different features.
Do you use the EQ on iPhone?
Let us know in the comments down below!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Plan your day with Hour Blocks and its amazing iOS 14 Home screen widgets
Planning your day is no fun but sometimes you find an app that goes some way to making it less boring. Hour Blocks does a decent job and it looks lovely, too.
Scribble Together gets the coolest iOS 14 App Clip we've seen so far
Scribble Together has released its new App Clip for Scribble Together, which will allow users to collaborate on a Scribble Together whiteboard even if they don't have the app.
TikTok is being banned in the U.S. from Sunday, September 20
The U.S. Department of Commerce will ban TikTok and WeChat from U.S app stores from Sunday.
Don't need fancy headphones? A good pair of cheap earbuds can do the trick
While fancy headphones have their time and place, having a cheap pair of earbuds can make travelling around a lot easier than carrying around big expensive headphones.