Daily Tip: How to transfer data from your original iPad to your new iPad 2
Switching from an original iPad to an iPad 2 and curious how to transfer all your information, apps, and data over? Luckily Apple makes this process almost painless thanks to iTunes. Click through for a couple easy steps that will ensure all your original iPad data, settings, apps, and games get transferred over to your new iPad smoothly.
If you've ever had to swap an iPad out at an Apple store, you're probably already familiar with this process. If not, follow these easy steps to copy data to your new iPad 2. This process will save all your app data and settings into an iTunes backup for you.
- Plug your current iPad into your Windows or Mac PC and open iTunes.
- If it doesn't start to sync automatically, click the Sync button. (You can alternately right click your device name in the navigation bar and click back up as well. Either way will work just fine.)
- Unplug your current iPad and plug in your new iPad 2.
- You'll be asked to register your iPad if you haven't already.
- iTunes should prompt you to do one of two things, set up as a new iPad or restore from a backup. Choose to restore from a backup and select the backup you just made.
- Once the restore is done your iPad 2 will reboot. When iTunes detects it again it will start to sync back any apps and games your old iPad had installed.
- Let iTunes do its thing. When you come back, your new iPad 2 should have all the same settings and data as your old one!
If you guys are switching, let us know how transferring your data worked out! Any issues with things transferring or did everything go smoothly?
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)