Wondering how to use the Wi-Fi personal hotspot on the new Verizon iPhone 4 or iOS 4.3 iPhone 4? Used mobile hotspot or a MiFi before but not sure how Apple's works? No worries, it's almost painless to share your iPhone's 3G connection with up to 5 other devices (including your iPad or laptop!) and we'll show you how after the break!
If you've used an iPhone before, Wi-Fi personal hotspot enhances the previous method for tethering and works in pretty much the same way -- albeit much more easily. IIf you're brand new to iPhone 4, Apple has made it even quicker to get to and get going with. Here's how.
- From the Home Screen launch the Settings App
- In Settings tap on Personal Hotspot
- Toggle Personal Hotspot to "On"
- If Wi-Fi is currently disabled a popup will appear asking you to enable it.
- You will see a default Wi-Fi password. You can either use it or tap on it to change it to a password of your choosing.
- Once you're happy with the settings go to your Mac or Windows PC and look for the name of your iPhone under available Wi-Fi networks.
- Enter the password
- A blue bar will appear on top of your iPhone showing the connection is established and how many devices are connected.
That's it. Enjoy your Wi-Fi but keep track of your 3G data!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to [email protected]. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)