"As a case and app combo Griffin Crayola Trace & Draw for iPad 2 is great for letting kids learn art and have fun on the iPad, though it's not something parents to just leave on a family device."
The Griffin Crayola Trace & Draw for iPad 2 review brings together the classic crayon and marker maker with one of the biggest names in iPad accessories for a double-threat case and app combo that's sure to delight kids of all ages. It required a screen protector, comes with a large enclosure and a marker, but put it all together and you get the best of old world art thanks to the latest in Apple tech!
The Griffin Crayola Trace & Draw is a contraption that fits over your iPad 2 like a case. A really big, really durable case. You need a screen protector, which I'm not a huge fan of, but your child will be drawing on paper on top of the screen and really, better safe than sorry.
The case holds the paper in place while the iPad 2 provides the light-box effect. And it holds your paper in place well. If your child is fortunate to have an iPad of their very own, having the Griffin Crayola Trace & Draw for iPad 2 on all the time won't be a problem. It will probably help protect it immensely. If it's a family iPad 2, however, you won't want to keep this case on any longer than you have to. It's just too big and bulky, and toy-styled to suit regular adult use.
And that presents a small problem -- once your kids get used to drawing or tracing on the iPad 2 with the Griffin Crayola Trace & Draw case on, once you take it off, I worry they'll find a way to keep drawing anyway, which would be no fun. (Keep a lot of washable markers handy).
The Griffin Crayola Trace & Draw for iPad 2 needs to be paired with the matching app from the App Store. It has a fair amount of content, including:
- On the Go - Connect the dots to create planes, trains and more
- Under the Sea - Animated friends guide you through undersea adventures
- Jungle Frenzy - Trace, draw and color a jungle full of fun
- Bot Builder - Swap bottoms and tops to make your own 'bots
- Magical Mashup - Mix and match dragons, wizards and other magical characters to make a silly creation
- Superhero Swap - Swap tops and bottoms to create your own superheroes
- Family Fun - Trace and color fun family members, even the cat
- Sports Scramble - Use the clues to guess the game
So you're likely to find something your child -- and you! -- might enjoy.
- Fun to use
- Great way to get your kids drawing
- Easy to set up and use
- Requires a screen protector
- Could make kids think it's okay to draw on iPad even without the case
- Not a case you can/want to leave on all the time
The bottom line
As a case and app combo Griffin Crayola Trace & Draw for iPad 2 is great for letting kids learn art and have fun on the iPad, though it's not something parents to just leave on a family device. You do need a screen protector to use it, which is a drag, and it's not the slimmest, prettiest case in the world, so you'll be taking it on and off a lot, but if your child is learning to draw I can't think of a funner, easier way to get them started than with the Griffin Crayola Trace & Draw for iPad 2
Simply leave a comment below telling us your most favorite thing your son or daughter, or child in your life, has drawn for you and you're entered to win a Griffin Crayola Trace & Draw for iPad 2 of your very own! Giveaway starts now and ends Sunday, February 5 at midnight PT. U.S. shipping address required for delivery.