We use single and double clicks on our iPhones and iPads to return to the Home screen and open the app switcher. Apple also offers an accessibility option that lets you enable and customize a triple-click. You can choose between a few options so you can pick the one that's most convenient and useful for you.
How to enable and use the triple-click Home button shortcut on iPhone and iPad
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Accessibility.
- Tap on Accessibility Shortcut — it's all the way at the bottom.
- Choose the action you'd like to perform when you triple-click the Home button.
Here's a brief description of the options you have and what they are:
- VoiceOver - Allows your iPhone or iPad to speak to you when enabled. Commonly used by folks with visual impairments.
- Invert Colors - A great option for anyone with a visual impairment such as color blindness. All colors across iOS will be inverted.
- Zoom - Allows you to zoom the Home screen and all other content for better visibility. You can then use two and three finger gestures to tap and pan around.
- Switch Control - Lets you use external switches, or the screen itself, as a switch for motor accessibility.
- AssistiveTouch - Adds the ability to access many common hardware buttons and gesture controls with single taps. A useful feature for those with motor impairments.
Once you've made your selection, simply triple-click the Home button from anywhere and your iPhone or iPad will enable the function you've selected. Triple-click it again to disable it. If you've assigned a triple-click function, what one do you use?
How to get more help with accessibility for iPhone and iPad
- How to use voice control with Siri for iPhone and iPad
- How to have your screen read with VoiceOver for iPhone and iPad
- How to magnify your screen with zoom on your iPhone or iPad
- How to invert screen colors on iPhone and iPad
- How to have text read with speak selection on your iPhone and iPad
- How to hear your corrections with speak auto-text for visual accessibility on iPhone and iPad
- How to increase legibility with large and bold text on iPhone and iPad
- How to make buttons more tappable by enabling shape outlines on iPhone and iPad
- How to increase contrast on iPhone and iPad
- How to prevent vertigo by reducing motion on your iPhone and iPad
- How to make toggles more visible by enabling on/off button labels on iPhone and iPad
- How to use FaceTime to make video calls on your iPhone or iPad
- How to connect to hearing aids on your iPhone or iPad
- How to use the LED flash as a visible notification light on your iPhone
- How to enable mono audio on iPhone or iPad
- How to enable subtitles and captioning on iPhone or iPad
- How to lock attention to a specific app with Guided Access for iPhone and iPad
- How to enable AssistiveTouch on iPhone or iPad
- How to enable switch control on iPhone and iPad
- How to adjust Home-click speed on iPhone and iPad
- How to set the triple-click Home button shortcut on iPhone and iPad
- Accessibility help and discussion forum