A new survey conducted by Consumer Intelligence Research Partner (CIRP) suggests that of Apple's iPhone customers between July 2012 and June 2013, an impressive 42% of them were upgrading from a previous iPhone. Better still, it compares Apple to Samsung, and shows that only 7% of Samsung's mobile customers moved across from using an iPhone. The key stats as presented to Fortune:
There's a trio of strange stories this week that all revolve around the reporting of Apple vs. Samsung statistics, or rather the rush to propagate incorrect, sensationalistic, negative narratives around the currently trendy Apple is doomed theme. Things like Google saying the Nexus 7 outsold the iPad mini in Japan, or reports of Samsung beating Apple on profitability. Yet what's interesting is that these stories didn't stop there. People looked into them, dug into them, and called bullshit.
Market share remains the most popular metric to calculate among metric calculators, and last quarter their measures claim Apple shipped the second largest amount of smartphones in the world at 31.2 million, representing a 13.1% slice of the customer pie. IDC reports:
No Talk Mobile Hangout today, as everyone's attention is already split between Facebook on one coast and Samsung on several others. Whether Instagram gets video or Samsung remembers Windows Phone exists, the Mobile Nations team will have it covered. So sit back, relax, and hit the links below for whatever event today interests you the most -- including our own, of course!
Samsung does make some great displays, for sure, though while they've taken on the Retina Display on mobile, their laptop displays pale in comparison next to the MacBook Pro's Retina Display. In truth, only Google's Chromebook Pixel and Toshiba's new Kirabook can really sit at the same table as the Retina MacBook Pro. Samsung is looking to change all that with the announcement of their new panel with a staggering 276 PPI.
While some places are still waiting to get their 4G LTE, Samsung has announced they're already working on making 100Mbps cellular internet obsolete with 5G mmWave, a technology that promises to bring gigabit to our phones and tablets. According to Samsung:
According to research by Cannacord Genuity analyst Michael Walkley, Apple still rakes in a whopping 57% of the profits in the mobile industry, while Samsung grabs the other 43%. Note that I said “mobile industry” not “smartphone industry”. In case you’re wondering why this adds up to 100% despite the presence of other players, it looks like the small profits from guys like BlackBerry and HTC are offset by losses from LG, Motorola, Nokia and others. The report also apparently goes into some detail on how Samsung should overtake Apple to be #1 in profitability. This is a red herring, and here's why...
S-Voice is Samsung's Bizarro-like clone of Apple's Siri voice assistant service, and like any Bizarro worth its chalky skin, it seems to be hugely conflicted about it's progenitor. Alex Dobie of Android Central reports:
Samsung has just released a new commercial for their new flagship phone, the Galaxy S4... and it's pretty good. The sheer size of the Galaxy S4 is evident in the ad, as are features like Drama Mode, which lets you capture a series of images -- think multi-exposure sports pics -- and Air Gestures that let you navigate without touching the screen with sticky -- in this case tasty rib covered -- fingers. Some of the other features, like Hover, which feels like a terrible violation of Fitts' law, and S Beam, which is like Bump over NFC, are a tad more gimmicky, and more demo-ware than software, but they come off okay in commercials for just that reason. (Samsung even suggests their screens support smell capture, which was probably a bad idea since injecting farce into an otherwise real, if strange, feature set only creates confusion.)