Developer interested in trying out iOS 5's new AirPlay mirroring on iPad 2 and Apple TV? You need to have a few things in place, but once you do, you can happily start testing the next casual game sensation out on the big screen! We'll show you how, after the break!
iOS 5 finally brings full on, full screen, full app mirroring from iPad 2 to Apple TV. You'll need iOS 5 for both, and iTunes 10.5 beta as well. You can get them via Apple's developer portal. If you haven't joined already, here's how to become a paid member.
NOTE: Before you install, make sure your UDIDs are registered with Apple. You might not be able to activate your devices if your UDIDs aren't properly registered.
- Install iOS 5 beta on your iPad 2. Xcode is always recommended but you can install using iTunes 10.5 as well. Here's how to install iOS betas if you need step by steps.
- Install iOS 5 beta on your Apple TV. You'll need to tether it to your computer using a USB to micro USB cable. Again, Xcode is recommended.
- Make sure both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network
- Open an app on iPad 2. Games are the most fun.
- Double click the Home button to bring up the Fast App Switcher.
- Swipe from left to right to get to the AirPlay button
- Tap AirPlay and select Apple TV as the source.
- Toggle Mirroring to On
That's it, your app or game should now be up, and usable, on the big screen! Let us know how it works for you!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.