Developer interested in trying out iOS 5's new AirPlay mirroring on iPad 2 and Apple TV? You need to have a few things in place, but once you do, you can happily start testing the next casual game sensation out on the big screen! We'll show you how, after the break!
iOS 5 finally brings full on, full screen, full app mirroring from iPad 2 to Apple TV. You'll need iOS 5 for both, and iTunes 10.5 beta as well. You can get them via Apple's developer portal. If you haven't joined already, here's how to become a paid member.
NOTE: Before you install, make sure your UDIDs are registered with Apple. You might not be able to activate your devices if your UDIDs aren't properly registered.
- Install iOS 5 beta on your iPad 2. Xcode is always recommended but you can install using iTunes 10.5 as well. Here's how to install iOS betas if you need step by steps.
- Install iOS 5 beta on your Apple TV. You'll need to tether it to your computer using a USB to micro USB cable. Again, Xcode is recommended.
- Make sure both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network
- Open an app on iPad 2. Games are the most fun.
- Double click the Home button to bring up the Fast App Switcher.
- Swipe from left to right to get to the AirPlay button
- Tap AirPlay and select Apple TV as the source.
- Toggle Mirroring to On
That's it, your app or game should now be up, and usable, on the big screen! Let us know how it works for you!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
FAQ: TikTok & WeChat ban — why it’s happening and what it means for you
Are TikTok and WeChat really being banned? When does all of this take effect? Will I still be able to use these apps? All this and more answered in our FAQ regarding the latest U.S. orders.
Here's everything we know about the iPhone 12 so far
With the iPhone 12 reportedly just weeks away, here's everything we currently know about Apple's next flagship lineup!
Here's where to find all 120 Stars in Super Mario 64
There are hundreds of Stars hidden around and throughout Princess Peach's castle in Super Mario 64. Here's where you'll find them all.
All the Nintendo Switch accessories for Animal Crossing fans
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is finally out on Nintendo Switch. Go all out with your Animal Crossing love with these adorable-themed accessories.