The Sky Q set-top box will turbocharge your TV viewing experience
Sky has launched the Sky Q platform, including two set-top boxes, an iOS app and a new broadband hub. The 4K-ready Sky Q Silver is the flagship offering, and comes with twelve TV tuners that allow you to record four TV shows simultaneously. The Q Silver also offers 2TB of on-board storage, and you can watch recorded content on up to three TVs and two tablets at the same time.
The Sky Q Mini box was also announced, which can be used to stream content wirelessly from the Q Silver. Sky's set-top boxes will be able to double up as Wi-Fi hotspots through the Sky Q hub, ensuring seamless connectivity throughout your house. Here's the breakdown of what's on offer with the Sky Q platform:
- Watch shows from your box, whether live, recorded or on demand, anywhere around the home on another TV or tablet
- Pause viewing on one TV screen and pick up where you left off in another room
- For the first time, take your favourite shows with you by saving recordings onto your tablet to watch anywhere
- Watch different programmes on up to five screens simultaneously while also recording four other channels
- Supercharge your Sky Broadband by turning all your Sky Q boxes into Wi-Fi hotspots
- Scroll and swipe the new touchpad remote to choose what to watch on an all-new TV guide
- Use the powerful search capability of Sky Q to find everything related to a show
- Access an even wider range of entertainment on the big screen including YouTube, Vevo and the best of the web
- Browse your Facebook photos and stream music wirelessly using Bluetooth or Apple's AirPlay
Also new is a Bluetooth-enabled remote with a circular touchpad that's compatible with voice commands. Sky has mentioned that the Sky Q app will launch alongside the new set-top boxes in early 2016, which is when 4K content from the provider is also set to go live.
Get more iMore in your inbox!
Our news, reviews, opinions, and easy to follow guides can turn any iPhone owner into an Apple aficionado
The clumsiest man in tech.