How to easily clone your Mac using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner
Cloning produces an instantly bootable copy of your hard drive. Here are two popular methods
Even if you're backing up your Mac using Time Machine or another method, you may eventually need to clone your hard drive as well. Cloning produces an exact duplicate of your hard drive, bootable from your Mac. If your main drive fails, it can be a life-saver.
There are a number of good reasons to clone: Upgrading your hard drive, for example, or working off an external drive for some reason, such as if you're Mac is in the shop getting something else fixed, and you're relegated to a backup machine. Maybe you just want to have an extra version of your hard drive on hand in case of emergencies.
Of the many ways to clone your Mac's hard drive, I'm focusing on two: Shirt Pocket Software's SuperDuper! and Bombich Software's Carbon Copy Cloner. They're both popular, well-supported software apps. Here are instructions for using them.
What you'll need
To get started, you'll need a few things:
- An external hard disk drive or drive mechanism connected via a dock or caddy
- Shirt Pocket's SuperDuper!, or
- Bombich Software's Carbon Copy Cloner
You'll need to prepare the new disk by formatting it using Disk Utility.
To prepare your clone using Disk Utility
- Double-click the Disk Utility icon in the Utilities folder
- Click on the drive icon that corresponds to your clone drive in the sidebar.
- Click on the Erase tab.
- Make sure Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is selected from the Format menu.
- Click on the Erase... button.
- Verify you want to erase the disk.
If you've done it successfully, you should see a new hard drive icon appear on your desktop.
To clone your Mac using SuperDuper!
- Double-click on the SuperDuper! app icon.
- If it's not already selected, select your Mac's hard drive in the pop-up menu next to Copy.
- Select the target hard drive in the to pop up menu.
- Make sure the using pop-up menu reads "Backup — all files."
- Click the Copy Now button.
- SuperDuper! will ask for your administrator password to continue.
SuperDuper! will copy all of the files onto the new hard drive.
SuperDuper! enables you to create a clone of your Mac even if you haven't registered it. If you pay Shirt Pocket the $27 registration fee, you'll unlock a slew of additional useful features, like scheduling, Smart Update, Sandboxes, scripting and more. In particular, Smart Update is really handy if you'd like to keep your clone up to date instead of having to duplicate it each time, to save time.
To clone your Mac using Carbon Copy Cloner
- Double-click on the Carbon Copy Cloner app icon.
- Click on the Source pop-up menu and select your Mac's boot volume from the list of local volumes.
- Select your clone drive from the Destination menu.
- Click the Clone button.
- Carbon Copy Cloner will give you the option of setting up a recovery partition on the target drive. You can use built-in tools to create one if you wish (useful if you're building a replacement hard drive).
As you can see, it's a pretty straightforward operation. Once you've done it, you'll have an exact copy of your Mac's internal hard drive. If you're upgrading, now you can put the new mechanism in your Mac!
Have you cloned your Mac yet? Run into any difficulty? Prefer a different method than these two? Sound off in the comments.
Have something to say about this story? Share your comments below! Need help with something else? Submit your question!