Tuesday and Wednesday TiPb is going to be at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) San Francisco 2010 to find out what's new and notable in the world of iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad gaming. Scuttlebutt is, if you think gaming is big on the iPhone OS now... get ready for it to explode in 2010.
We'll do our best to meet with all your favorite game companies, from the huge houses to the best and brightest indies.
Anyone surprised that games are way more popular on the iPhone than on competing plaforms? Mplayit has put out some interesting stats, not only on what apps are popular with their Facebook sharing users, but what kinds of apps are popular on the various platforms they monitor. While on Android and BlackBerry, non-game apps account for 83% and 67% of popular titles, on the iPhone they're only 36%. That leaves 64% for games.
That might be a concern, frankly, if the numbers weren't north of 150,000 leaving plenty of room for great productivity, utility, social networking, and other apps in addition to the increasingly good games. Embarrassment of riches indeed.
For those of us with fond memories of the Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn comes Rayman 2. Yes, one of our favorite Mario 64 clones has made it to the iPhone [$6.99 - iTunes link].
Rayman has to escape the evil clutches of pirates that have taken over your world. Rayman plays in a 3D environment running, jumping and shooting energy to take down foes and restore peace to the world.
Brothers in Arms 2: Global Front has is now available in the App store [$7.99 - iTunes link]. This is the sequel to 2008's Brothers in Arms: Hour of Heroes, one of the first 3D shooters on the iPhone. The above screen shot was taken in-game and it looks amazing. There is a smooth framerate and uses Gameloft's successful control schemes for FPSs. This is a big improvement over the first game in the series and has been well worth the wait. Some highlights include:
The premise is simple, defend your home from invading zombies with an arsenal of 49 zombie destroying plants. The plants (a.k.a. weapons) available to you include peashooters, wall-nuts, cherry bombs and more to dismember the 26 different types of zombies. Along with all of this zombie action you get five game modes:
Adventure: 50 levels — Play through day, night and fog, in a swimming pool and on the rooftop.
Stress Free Zen Garden
Plants vs. Zombies is a highly addictive must buy for any tower defense fans. Buy it now!
Unofficial emulators and Apple are not a good mix, so when we heard from Gizmodo that Sega is planning on releasing an official emulator, all of us here at TiPb cheered with joy.
Sometime in February you can expect to see the emulator application packaged with Space Harrier II free of charge. Then, with the use of Apple's in-app purchasing, you will be able to add the following titles.
From the Forums is a great way to see what all of the current hot topics are on the TiPb forums. Today we would like to go over some of the popular sub-forums for those of you who may not be familiar with our forum setup. Becoming a member is fast and free, so if you have not already already done so, head on over and register now.
In Gameloft's Dungeon Hunter [$4.99 - iTunes link] for iPhone and iPod touch, you play a prince whose bride dies on your wedding night. In sorrow you decide to resurrect her. And as anyone who's ever watched Buffy could tell you (or could have told the developers), this is a recipe for disaster.
Anyway, she becomes evil (duh!), kills you by way of thanks, and then proceeds to wreak havoc on the world. But here's where it becomes an RPG -- you, the prince, get a second chance to make things right.
The graphics in Dungeon Hunter are beautifully rendered. They are clean and crisp and allow you to fully immerse yourself in the fantasy environment. Load times, however, are extremely long. I have a 3G but if you have a 3GS it may not be that bothersome. Loading occurs not only when you begin the game but also each time you zone into a new area during the game.
The widely popular Super Monkey Ball for iPhone and iPod touch now has a sequel, Super Monkey Ball 2 [$9.99 - <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-monkey-ball-2/id340056794?mt=8&at=10l3Vy&ct=d_im "SMB2">iTunes link] - featuring multiplayer!
Today’s TiPb Top 5 will be directed towards our iPhone and iPod touch wielding readers who love First-Person Shooting (FPS) games. Just like our other TiPb’s top 5 must-have posts, all of these applications are available in the App Store. For the full overview, follow us after the break!