What are the top 5, must-have board games currently available on the iPhone? Many of you have taken a liking to our Top 5 Must-Have Jailbreak Apps features, so TiPb figured why not expand the series and cover some of the better apps directly from Apple's own iTunes App Store as well? So that is exactly what we did. Today we have compiled what we feel are the current top 5 must-have board game apps available. For the full run down, follow us after the break!
Gameloft's rendition of the classic card game has come a long way since it was first introduced into the App Store back in November. With a slick layout, nice graphics and a very fluent control scheme a card game like this is a perfect fit for the iPhone platform.
The feature that makes this a great iPhone board game is Gameloft's new community based-social network - "Gameloft Live". This new feature adds friends lists, trophies, chat and personal messaging for players.
- Action Cards are here: Wild, Reverse, Draw 2, and more
- Customize your game with 9 different rules to play your way, including 7-0 and Jump-in
- Play online or with your friends through a Wi-Fi connection.
- Collect prizes by winning increasingly difficult games in Tournament Mode.
- Game invites via push notifications
UNO is available for $4.99. [iTunes Link]
EA Mobile has done a excellent job on it's latest board game release, Hasbro's Scrabble, especially for those of you looking for a great multiplayer experience via WiFi. For those of you who may not be familiar with this particular game, the object is to create words from a rack of seven letters that is randomly assigned to each player. You use those seven letters that were assigned to you to build words on the game board. Certain letters have more points associated with them and certain game board squares enable higher scoring. Winning the game is simple, you must create words that give you a higher score than your opponent.
- Now you can play SCRABBLE™ with your friends on Facebook
- Start a match from any platform to play-invite friends the same way
- Play in real time-stats and chats appear instantly
- SHAKE your iPhone to shuffle letters, ZOOM to view the playing board, and DRAG-n-DROP to place tiles
- Tap into your iTunes® libray and listen to your favorite songs
Scrabble is available for $4.99. [iTunes Link]
Monopoly Here and Now: World Edition
Monopoly, what more can you really say but we are willing to bet most, if not all, of our readers has a fairly good idea what this game is all about. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this classic - Monopoly is a board game that can be played two to four players. Each player is represented by a token of their choice: a shoe, a top-hat, a dog, or a car. Each player takes a turn, rolls two six-sided dice and moves his/her token across the board. Each space on the board is either a property you can purchase or it initiates some other transaction - fines, rewards, etc... The goal of Monopoly is to make the most money and bankrupt your opponents.
- Wi-Fi Mode Allows 4 players to connect via the same router on a Local Area Network (Disappointing, we know...)
- 3D view of the board and movers
- Play solo against the computer or Pass n' play for 4
- Use your touch screen to flick and drag property cards and simulate real-life game experiences
Monopoly Here and Now: World Edition is available for $4.99. [iTunes Link]
The Game of Life: Classic Edition
Just like all of the other EA Mobile board games, The Game of Life translates very nicely over to iPhone. In The Game of Life players travel around the game board landing on spaces that act out various events that you may experience throughout ones life - schooling, work, retirement, etc... During your journey of life you will come be offered jobs, slapped with lawsuits, have children, purchase property, and get life tiles. Life tiles represent major life events that are revealed at the end of the game, each of them will reward players with different amounts of money that will be added to the players retirement totals. The player with the most amount of money at the end of the game, is the winner.
- High replayability - endless choices allow you to recreate your life every time you play!
- Animated tokens bring the game to LIFE!
- Innovative controls for effortless navigation around a colorful gameboard
- Stunning, 3D playing environment with winding roads and plush landscapes
One of most obvious omissions of this game is the lack of Wi-Fi play. Hopefully that will come in a future update.
The Game of Life Classic Edition is available for $4.99. [iTunes Link]
This last game we have for you today comes from EA Mobile yet again, Trivial Pursuit. This game offers you Classic mode, where the game board has the looks just like the classic board game. The game play is still the same as well. You still collect wedges by answering multiple choice questions for six categories - Entertainment, Geography, History, Sports & Leisure, Science & Nature, and Arts & Literature. The player who is able to answer the most questions correctly and gathers the most wedges - wins.
- Play with up to 4 players using Pass'N Play and local Wi-Fi multiplayer.
- Choose the right amount of wedges to win, set your own time limits, and create personalized difficulty levels.
- Innovative, easy-to-use touch controls allow you to roll the dice with a tilt and a shake. Page through questions with the swipe of your hand and tap to select answers!
Trivial Pursuit is available for $4.99. [iTunes Link]
Well that's it, TiPb's Top 5 Must-Have iPhone board games. Did we miss any of your favorites? Overlook any killer features? Drop us a comment and let us know your list!