How to lock focus in the Camera app for iPhone and iPad
The Camera app on your iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad comes with auto-exposure and auto-focus. That lets you get the proper balance and sharpness on most of your photos, most of the time. But sometimes whatever it is you're trying to photograph is too busy, too jittery, or otherwise too difficult for your camera to latch on to. When that happens you can try to focus and expose on an easier subject, lock that focus and exposure, move your camera, and then take your photo. It's called AE/AF Lock (auto-exposure/auto-focus lock) and it's especially good for kids, pets, macros with a lot of objects at different depths, and other challenging situations!
How the lock the focus in the iPhone and iPad Camera app
- Launch the Camera app like you normally would to take a photo.
- Press and hold on your focal point until you see an AE/AF Lock banner appear at the top of the screen.
- Remove your finger from the screen and tap the shutter button when you're ready to take your photo.
- Unlock the focus and exposure again at any time by tapping anywhere on the screen.
How to get more help with Camera for iPhone and iPad
- How to quickly access your iPhone camera from the Lock screen
- How to quickly access your iPhone camera from Control Center
- How to take photos with your iPhone or iPad
- How to record a video with your iPhone or iPad
- How to record slow motion videos on your iPhone
- How to take time-lapse videos with iPhone or iPad
- How to use the panorama camera on your iPhone or iPad
- How to use the camera timer on your iPhone or iPad
- How to take a photo using the volume up button with your iPhone or iPad
- How to take a photo while simultaneously shooting video with your iPhone or iPad
- How to quickly edit and share photos and videos from the camera app on iPhone and iPad
- How to use the camera flash on your iPhone
- How to use the HDR camera on your iPhone or iPad
- How to switch between the rear iSight and front FaceTime camera on your iPhone or iPad
- How to lock focus in the Camera app for iPhone and iPad
- How to quickly adjust exposure in the Camera app
- How to use burst mode to capture all the action with your iPhone camera
- How to preview camera filters in real-time on your iPhone
- How to use photo and video extensions on your iPhone or iPad
- How to enable the camera grid on your iPhone or iPad
- How to turn photo geotagging on or off on your iPhone or iPad
- How to restrict access to the Camera app with parental restrictions
- Best manual camera control apps for iPhone
Have something to say about this story? Share your comments below! Need help with something else? Submit your question!