How to use the HDR camera on your iPhone or iPad
The Camera on your iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad lets you take high dynamic range (HDR) photos. HDR involves taking a series of photos in rapid succession, at least one of which is under exposed and at least one of which is over exposed. Those photos are then all combined resulting in a single, unified image that shows details both in the shadow and the light. The results are landscapes that aren't lost to darkness and skies that aren't all blown out. Apple has provided an HDR mode on the iPhone for years, and more recently has provided not only an HDR mode for the iPad, but an automatic HDR mode for the iPhone 5s.
How to enable HDR or Auto HDR on the iPhone or iPad
- Launch the Camera app
- Tap on the HDR at the top to toggle between On and **Off* on most iPhones and iPads.
- Tap and hold HDR to choose HDR Auto on the iPhone 5s.
If you have a current model iPhone or iPad, there's no reason not to leave HDR on. It processes almost as quickly as a regular photo but typically provides better results. If you have an iPhone 5s, there's no reason not to leave HDR set to Auto. Your photos will thank you for it.
How to get more help with Camera for iPhone and iPad
- How to quickly access your iPhone camera from the Lock screen
- How to quickly access your iPhone camera from Control Center
- How to take photos with your iPhone or iPad
- How to record a video with your iPhone or iPad
- How to record slow motion videos on your iPhone
- How to use the panorama camera on your iPhone
- How to take a photo using the volume up button with your iPhone or iPad
- How to take a photo while simultaneously shooting video with your iPhone or iPad
- How to quickly edit and share photos and videos from the camera app on iPhone and iPad
- How to use the camera flash on your iPhone
- How to use the HDR camera on your iPhone or iPad
- How to switch between the rear iSight and front FaceTime camera on your iPhone or iPad
- How to lock focus in the Camera app for iPhone and iPad
- How to use burst mode to capture all the action with your iPhone camera
- How to preview camera filters in real-time on your iPhone
- How to enable the camera grid on your iPhone or iPad
- How to turn photo geotagging on or off on your iPhone or iPad
- Best camera apps for iPhone