What you need to know
- Niantic is celebrating the entire month of May with a new type of event in Pokémon Go.
- The Throwback Challenge event will feature Timed Research lines available during a limited window.
- Completing all four weeks of the Throwback Challenge will unlock a fifth challenge during the first week of June, as well as offer plenty of rewards.
Today, Niantic announced an upcoming event for Pokémon Go: Throwback Challenge 2020. This new event will take place during the entire month of May, with every week featuring a new set of Timed Research lines which will each only be available for a limited time. These Timed Research lines will each feature eight sets of three tasks, all focused on a specific region. The schedule for the Throwback Challenge is:
- Throwback Challenge 2020: Kanto Timed Research: Friday, May 1, 2020 at 1 pm until Friday, May 8 at 1 pm local time.
- Throwback Challenge 2020: Johto Timed Research: Friday, May 8, 2020 at 1 pm until Friday, May 15 at 1 pm local time.
- Throwback Challenge 2020: Hoenn Timed Research: Friday, May 15, 2020 at 1 pm until Friday, May 22 at 1 pm local time.
- Throwback Challenge 2020: Sinnoh Timed Research: Friday, May 22, 2020 at 1 pm until Friday, May 29 at 1 pm local time.
- Throwback Challenge Champion 2020 Special Research: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 1 pm until Monday, June 8 at 1 pm local time.
The Throwback Challenge lines will show up in the Today View, and once unlocked, must be completed within a limited time. For players who complete the first four challenges, a special fifth Timed Research line will unlock during the first week of June. Niantic promises that players will be able to complete all of these challenges in an individual setting.
In addition to the numerous rewards offered for each of the sets of tasks, completing all five Research lines will reward players with Rare Candies, an avatar item based on Professor Willow's glassed, and encounters with Genesect, Galarian Meowth, and Galarian Stunfisk. We will be covering each of these challenge weeks in more detail soon! In the meantime, be sure to check out our Complete Pokédex, as well as our many Pokémon Go guides so you too can become a Pokémon Master!
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Casian Holly has been writing about gaming at iMore since 2019, but their real passion is Pokémon. From the games to the anime, cards and toys, they eat, sleep, and breathe all things Pokémon. You can check out their many Pokémon Go and Pokémon Sword and Shield guides and coverage here on iMore.