Pokémon Go Niantic has already rolled out many Pokémon from the fifth generation of games -- Pokémon Black, White, Black 2, and White 2 -- to Pokémon Go, but there are still many more to come. Here's everything you need to know!
Which Pokémon from Gen V can you catch in Pokémon Go right now?
Pokémon Go has released over 90 Gen V Pokémon so far. These Pokémon include several Region Locked Pokémon, and several Legendaries, so you might not be able to catch all of them just yet. All the Gen V Pokémon released so far are:
- Pansage (Only in Asia-Pacific)
- Simisage (Only on Asia-Pacific)
- Pansear (Only in Europe and Africa)
- Simisear (Only in Europe and Africa)
- Panpour (Only in the Americas)
- Simipour (Only in the Americas)
- Throh (Only in North America, South America, and Africa)
- Basculin - Red-Striped (Only in the Eastern Hemisphere)
- Basculin - Blue-Striped (Only in the Western Hemisphere)
- Darumaka January 24
- Darmanitan January 24
- Maractus (Only in Southern United States, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, and South America)
- Sigilyph (Only in Egypt and Greece)
- Minccino February 2
- Cinccino February 2
- Heatmor (Western Hemisphere only)
- Durant (Eastern Hemisphere only)
What Gen V Pokémon are yet to come?
While many Gen V Pokémon have been released, there are still over 60 yet to come. A bunch of these are Legendaries (and there are even four Mythical Pokémon!) but many should be available soon. These Pokémon include:
Which Gen I-IV Pokémon have new evolutions in Gen V?
Surprise! None of them! Gen V is all brand new Pokémon, none of which evolve into or from previously-existing Pokémon. This is a pretty major distinction from Gens II and IV, which added both new evolutionary forms and baby forms to the mix as well as the introduction of Sinnoh Stones to make certain forms of Pokémon evolve.
However, there are a couple new ways to Evolve your Pokémon this Generation. First, there is the Unova Stone. Unlike the Sinnoh Stone, the Unova Stone only works on Gen V Pokémon. This Stone is taking the place of several Evolution Items from the core games. You can read more about the Unova Stone in our Evolution Items Guide.
Also new to Pokémon Go is Trade Evolution. In the core games, there have always been Pokémon that Evolve when Traded from one Trainer to another. This wasn't a means of Evolution utilized by Pokémon Go until recently, but all previous Pokémon that Evolved by Trading can now be Evolved for free if you Trade for them. You can read more about this in our Trade Evolution Guide.
Who are the Gen V starters?
Like the generations before it, Gen V has a set of three starter Pokémon that trainers in Pokémon Black, White, Black 2, and White 2 could choose to begin their Pokémon journey with. In Pokémon Go, you aren't gifted any of them for free, but there will likely be special events centered around them. These Pokémon are:
- Grass: Snivy > Servine > Serperior
- Fire: Tepig > Pignite > Emboar
- Water: Oshawott > Dewott > Samurott
Will there be any unusual ways to obtain new Pokémon in Gen 5?
At the moment, we don't know. However, there are some Pokémon in this generation that had unusual factors related to their forms or evolution in the DS games, so it would make sense if they had something special about how they worked in Pokémon Go. The following Pokémon have unusual evolutions or forms that Pokemon Go may need to account for:
- Unfezant: Evolving from Tranquill (which evolves from Pidove), this Pokémon has different visual forms based on its gender and may learn different moves.
- Audino: Audino doesn't evolve into or from anything else, but it's worth noting here as in the games it was known for providing an enormous amount of EXP to trainers who defeated it in battle. It's possible we see a similar mechanic with Audino in terms of Stardust or similar in Pokémon Go.
- Darmanitan: Darmanitan evolves normally from Darumaka, but in the games, it has an additional "Zen Mode" form it takes when its HP gets low, which increases its power and ability to take hits. It is unknown how this will appear in Pokémon Go, but as it is being released on January 24, 2020, we will find out soon!
- Deerling and Sawsbuck: Pokémon Black and White were the first Pokémon games to introduce seasons, and Deerling and Sawsbuck changed their appearance and the power of one of their moves based on the season. It is unknown if Pokémon Go will make use of seasons in a similar way, or if these Pokémon will change appearance based on another factor, such as the weather or region.
- Frillish and Jellicent: In the games, Frillish and Jellicent took on different colorings based on their gender. It is likely that this will be the same in Pokémon Go.
- Meloetta: Meloetta is a Mythical Pokémon that has a second form it activates in the games by using the move Relic Song in battle. It is unknown how this will work in Pokémon Go.
- Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus: These three legendary Pokémon have two forms known as Incarnate and Therian forms. It is unknown how they will swap between them in Pokémon Go.
- Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem: In Black 2 and White 2, Kyurem could fuse with either Reshiram or Zekrom to obtain a new form that gained the powers of either. It is unknown how this will work in Pokémon Go.
- Keldeo: Keldeo is a Mythical Pokémon that has a second form triggered when it learns the move Secret Sword. It is unknown how this will work in Pokémon Go.
Who are the Legendary and Mythical Pokémon of Gen V?
Gen V is packed with Legendary and Mythical Pokémon, so we'll have fodder for raid battles for months to come:
Swords of Justice
The Swords of Justice are a quartet of Fighting and other typed Pokémon based on the Three Muskateers. In the core games, they know abilities based on swords, such as Swords Dance and a new move, Sacred Sword. The first three are Legendary Pokémon, while their newest member is a Mythical Pokémon with two forms.
- Virizion - Grass/Fighting
- Terrakion - Rock/Fighting
- Cobalion - Steel/Fighting
- Keldeo - Water/Fighting
Forces of Nature
Also known as the Forces of Nature, these three appear as powerful, humanoid beings atop clouds and share a Flying-type. They also each have two forms: Therian and Incarnate forms, though it's unknown how they will switch between them in Pokémon Go.
- Tornadus - Flying
- Thundurus - Electric/Flying
- Landorus - Ground/Flying
The main plot dragons of Pokémon Black, White, Black 2, and White 2 were the Tao dragon trio of, you guessed it, three dragons. Each has a secondary typing and according to Unovan myth, all were created during a war in the region. Kyurem can also fuse with either of the other two to create White Kyurem (when fused with Reshiram) or Black Kyurem (when fused with Zekrom,) though it's unknown how this will work in Pokémon Go.
- Reshiram - Dragon/Fire
- Zekrom - Dragon/Electric
- Kyurem - Dragon/Ice
Meloetta is a Mythical singing Pokémon that can swap between two forms using its Relic Song ability in the games, gaining it either a Psychic-type or a Fighting-type in addition to its Normal typing.
- Meloetta - Normal/Psychic or Normal/Fighting
Genesect is a Mythical Bug/Steel Pokémon that in the games can use a move called Techno Blast that varies in its typing depending on what item Genesect is holding. The player can obtain a variety of Drives to change the typing of this move, but it's unknown how this will work in Pokémon Go.
- Genesect - Bug/Steel
A Mythical rabbit-like Pokémon found only in a special location called Liberty Garden.
- Victini - Psychic/Fire
What are you looking most forward to in Pokémon Go Gen V?
What Gen V Pokémon, events, or battles are you most looking forward to? Drop us a comment below and be sure to check out our many other Pokémon Go guides so you too can be a Pokémon Master!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
NHS COVID-19 app released in England and Wales
The NHS has released its COVID-19 app for England and Wales, featuring risk updates for your area, venue check-in, and of course, contact tracing based on Apple and Google's exposure notification API.
Top 20 home screen customization apps hit 5.7 million downloads in 4 days
Since the release of iOS 14, the desire to customize your home screen is driving record downloads for the apps that help you do it.
Fortnite players, don't update iOS without reading this
Epic Games is warning Fortnite players over updating to iOS 14, in case a feature that temporarily removes apps to make space for the software deletes Fortnite, preventing users from reinstalling it.
Kid-friendly board games to keep your children entertained
Games can teach kids teamwork, strategy, help with basic math skills, and even give their critical thinking skills a good test. Plus, board games are fun as heck, so here's a list of our favorite games you can play with your kids!