Yes, you can Jailbreak the white iPhone 4

Yes, you can Jailbreak the white iPhone 4

We're answering the questions we're getting most often, so bear with us while we let everyone no that yes indeed, you can Jailbreak the white iPhone 4 -- it's still an iPhone 4 on current(ish) firmware after all.

Given that iPad 2 still isn't Jailbroken, it's a fair question to ask, so I put it to the test. My white iPhone 4 shipped with iOS 4.3.1 and I had no trouble jailbreaking either that or 4.3.2 once I updated. I don't have CDMA here, so I can't test the Verizon iPhone on 4.2.7, but if you've had luck with that, let us know.

If you need more information or extra help, here are your links:

iOS 4.3.2 (AT&T/GSM) Jailbreak (untethered)

iOS 4.2.6 (Verizon) Jailbreak (untethered)

Dooney & Bourke Pouch for iPhone - accessory review

South Park pokes fun at Apple's location tracking controversy [Thursday fun video]

Mo says:

Does anybody think that WASN'T possible?

Rene Ritchie says:

Some didn't want to risk buying unless they knew for sure.

Mo says:

Crazy! It's the color that is different. But I'm assuming people would already know that. Am I putting too much faith in some people? Haha. :)

parabel says:

Yes, it was reasonable to think that it might not work, because:
1) Apple already changed the Bootrom once in the middle of a model series with the 3GS. This made jailbreaking newer 3GS models much harder than jailbreaking old 3GS models.
2) The iPad 2 hasn't been jailbroken yet (or only at an early experimental level) which could have indicated that Apple would include the new safety mechanisms in the white iPhone 4, since they already released them to the public anyway in the iPad 2.

John says:

My Verizon came with 4.2.6. Will be jailbreaking tonight!!

solu says:

Mine came with 4.2.7 .. i did the jailbreak but its tethered.

Jack says:

"...everyone no that..."
Do you ever proofread your articles?

colemaneuclid says:

You must not read this site, or the web in general, often. Proofreading is obviously something that only counts in school. Once you ascend to the level of "Managing Editor" you only need to worry about phonetics. Or in this case, iPhonetics.
Crap my spell check is informing me that "iPhonetics" is a misspelled word. I hope my editor proofreads my comment.

iPhone App Marketing says:

This site is full of vital information for iPhone app developers and users. I’m sure many of those who visit this site will also like it. Congratulations to the administrator and owner of this site. This will give more information for the development of the iPhones industry.
The iPhone industry is now a multi-billion industry. I’m sure the millions of users of the world will always need more information, developments and news iPhone apps. The current development is amazing and more and more iPhone developers from all over the world also enjoy their creations because of the great potential to sell to the billions of users around the world.

Limegrntaln says:

Rene, you must have one hell of an apple collection. You have every device known to man.

Anonymous says:

He doesn't have the iBrain.

RobertC says:

CDMA iPhones with 4.2.6 are easily jailbroken. 4.2.7 does have a tethered option, but definitely not a reliable option.