Daily Tip: How to change the device name of your iPhone or iPad
Wondering how to change the device name of your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad? When you first set up your iOS device in iTunes you get to choose its name but that doesn't mean you can't change it later. In fact, it's simple and straightforward to do so, and we'll show you how, after the break!
Maybe you got a new iPhone and want to rename the old one. Maybe the iPad name you thought funny at first doesn't seem so funny now. Whatever the reason, you can easily change the device name in iTunes to anything you wish.
- Plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into iTunes via the USB dock cable
- Launch iTunes (if it doesn't launch automatically).
- Find your iOS device in the sidebar (it should show up once the connection is made).
- Click on the device name and it will become editable. (If it doesn't, make sure it has finished syncing first.)
- Type in the new device name.
- Click the Sync button at the bottom right.
- That's it!
Your device will now -- hopefully proudly! -- carry its new name.
If you have any other iTunes tips for us, let us know in comments!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to firstname.lastname@example.org. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)