Siri down?

Siri down?

We're getting lots of mail and tweets from readers who say Siri is currently down for them, as in Apple's new artificially intelligent voice control system says it can't connect to the network. While Siri is in beta at the moment, and all online services have outages, that doesn't stop real users from being really annoyed when it happens.

Is Siri down for you? Are you being told Siri is having trouble connecting to the network? Are you on Wi-Fi or 3G, and if 3G, which carrier? Does restarting your iPhone 4S help?

Let us know if you're down, any fixes that work for you, and when it starts working again.

New and updated iPhone and iPad apps for Monday, October 17 [giveaway]

Whatever happened to iPhone 5?

Jackm says:

It has been down since this morning for me, both on wifi and AT&T 3G.
Hopefully apple is upgrading their servers as I have gotten the "can't connect" message quite a few times since the 4S launch.

DiazMendez says:

Yes I am having SIRIous issues! I absolutely live using Siri, as I work all day and live to text! Siri helps me do both simultaneously! But today her network is down! WhiteiPhone 4s on Verizon, on wifi and 3G tried both! Restarting didn't help! :(

Smclaughlin says:

Mine is down....hasn't worked in more thqan 20 minutes. Worked fine all weekend

Craig says:

Yes, has not worked for the last 20 minutes i've tried. On Verizon using 3G

ecb says:

Down for me via WIFI. Tried the disable/reboot/enable trick with no luck

Bdjenkin says:

I have this problem occasionally. Just close Siri, open up some arbitrary app foo and close foo, then retry siri and she should work.

Bdjenkin says:

Note: this was only with WiFi connected, this does not work with only a 3G connection.

Awesomus Prime says:

It also has been down for me since this morning, regardless of me being on Wi-Fi or Sprint 3G network. I get the same error message as above.

Carl says:

I wasn't able to get on it last night, server not available.

Hcomets34 says:

Down since around 1030 EST on Verizon Wi-Fi & 3G

Psychomouse says:

Same here and we're at Duke in NC except went down around 11AM

Lovell Martin Jr says:

Yes and with 4 million 4S sold what you think their network would do? Relax and take notes Siri is still a beast and will be alright

apicarro says:

Down with AT&T 3G and wifi.. Soft and hard reset don't affect anything.

mplenhart says:

Sorry, (user). I don't understand what you mean by...
Would you like to do a web search?

rj5570 says:

Same here on AT&T and WiFi, "Sorry, I am having trouble connecting to network."
wonder if Siri is too busy contemplation the meaning of life?

Joe_Vete says:

My boss is pissed because he can't use Siri, he's thinking about going back to Android

Kevin Hoffman says:

Done. ATT on a wifi network. Followed the three steps recommended several times.

Jim says:

Yes, it's down for me on AT&T

Wesleybarnett says:

mines down. 3G and Wifi on ATT. Tried restarting to no avail. Tried solution I found online (turn off siri then reset network settings then turn siri back on), didn't work either.

wtfapple says:

down for verizon customer, both wifi & 3g.

netguy says:

down for me - using 3G and WiFi - AT&T

Jamie Pringle says:

Siri is down on Verizon for both 3G and WiFi at the moment it would seem.

Rsb619 says:

It is 1230 pm EST and it is still down.

Matt says:

Down for me on Sprint since around 0800 CST.

Vinnyv11 says:

Down here as well. Reset network settings now other thinks are jacked. Verizon 3G

Mcpfilms says:

Siri was sporadically down for me on Friday when i first got the phone. Today it is definitely down. I hope they are simply upgrading to handle the new influx of users. 25 million new users and the 4 million iPhone 4s users, I am sure they weren't prepared. There is no way to stress test a server for 25 million users...

Paul Clark says:

Down in Toledo Ohio @ 12:30

Lyndakim2002 says:

Siri is down in Toronto Canada (Rogers 3G)

Jar says:

It's back and running again for me. I guess after selling 4 million iPhone 4S, everyone must be showing it off at work today

Marquis Marvon'sUncle Smith says:

Lol i did exactly that all day, My co-workers loved it..

Janez Hrastovsek says:

Looks like it's becoming a new "party app".

Nico Alessandro Di-Maria says:

Works for me on Orange UK 3G network

Chefcookie says:

Down all morning for me... on AT&T 3G or Wifi. Amazing that after just 2 1/2 days, I feel dependent on it already... lost without it!!! I sure hope the server is up and running soon!!

Ccsuwxman says:

siri has been down for me since yesterday evening. I've tried all the suggested fixes (disable siri, reboot, reset network settings, etc.) and none of them have worked. It would be nice if Apple would acknowledge the problem.

Fitzroy says:

Siri and voice recognition are both down for me with since 10:30-ish (verizon but on wifi).

Ggg says:

Siri down in okc, both wifi and 3G. Tried restarting and it did nothing

Mark Andersen says:

yup, trying to show it off at work and it's failing miserably....

Tammy Gilliam says:

Siri just keeps repeating I can't help you at this time. It won't do voice/microphone texting either.
AT&T/wifi

tut00 says:

Went down for me around 10:30 am. Still not working on att via wifi or 3G. Amazing how dependent on it I have become.

Andrewleonardi says:

Hahah I know I feel helpless without her and it's only been a few days

Adam says:

Siri was down for me until I just disabled it and then enabled it .... I'm on AT&T both 3G and wifi

Valgor1 says:

No more Siri. This sucks. Was just about to play with her. For all u iPhone 4 users, I heard an 18-year-old hacked into the Siri software and programed it to his iPhone 4 and it works.

Brad Jordan says:

Atlanta area. Down here for last hour. WiFi and 3G no go for Siri. Frustrating, but hopefully just temporary growing pains.

Gajetman says:

Yup. Was down for a while here in Chicago around 10:30AM on both 3G and WiFi. Seems to be back now.

priller says:

Verizon Wi-Fi & 3G --- Getting "There is something's wrong. Can you please try that again".

Steven Appenzeller says:

It seems like the reported issues with iCloud and Siri indicate that Apple may not have enough data center capacity to cope with the crush of iOS 5 users. Take whatever side you wish on the Android iOS issue, its clear that Google's huge lead in building out its global infrastructure provides Google services with a very stable platform. That's not to say there aren't occasional issues with Gmail or other Google services, but they aren't related server capacity side issues.

Flintchesthair says:

Wow, jump the gun a bit? It's he service is less than a week old. Let's give it a little while for them to work the kinks out.

Steven Appenzeller says:

I'm not jumping to conclusions... no one knows the nature of any disruptions at this point. All I pointed out that running a tremendous cloud based operation is very resource intensive. Apple is at the beginning stages of doing this, but there are few companies with their technical expertise and deep pockets so they are obviously capable of building an amazing platform. But even the smartest and richest company will have a learning curve.

OrionAntares#CB says:

Meh, Apple's known for not testing out the extent of their technical ideas and how they might falter in the real world. They make nice aesthetics but at times their technical work could use better QA.
There's a reason why when Google releases a new beta service they release it in phases to public access rather than just dumping the whole thing out there at once.

Reesecollins518 says:

it wasn't working for me and i turned it off and back on and it was fine. on AT&T in KC.

USA Rocks says:

Give it a rest, Siri is sore from all the sex questions she has been asked and needs a break.

Evie says:

I just spoke to Apple support. It's down for "maintenance." There is nothing you can do to your phone to fix it.

Mcnatey says:

3G and it won't connect still

Ken Andersen says:

Down for me on Verizon 3G and Wi-Fi as well in Utah.

Shane says:

Siri has been down all morning...Wi Fi and 3G on Sprint. Shutting down Siri, reboot, turn Siri back on...no go

Mcpfilms says:

Apple should send an email out to the 25 million iOS users and ask them to turn off Siri and restart there phones :)

William Kenneth Stein says:

Just checked Siri via Sprint on Wifi in Arizona and it worked just fine (10:00am local)

Hcomets34 says:

back up and running in NJ on Verizon

3spur says:

Was down all morning, but just tried before the post, and now she's working fine, on Wifi, AT&T& 32G model

Ken Andersen says:

Siri works again for me after disabling, rebooting, and then re-enabling Siri.

jay_oday says:

Mine is working, I just used it. Mine wasnt working last night but I reset my network settings and that addressed the issue.

Flintchesthair says:

Mine has been down for a few hrs and just started working. I don't tho k the people restarting things make much of a difference. It's probably more apple figuring out how to handle the 4 million phone load.

Amylcullen says:

I just got off the phone with Apple tech support who told me the entire Siri network is down & they are working on it currently.

Flintchesthair says:

Well hopefully when it comes back it will be more reliable. Since I got this phone on Friday, Siri has been able to connect maybe half of the time.

Jason Deno says:

Agreed
I also wasn't aware Siri was in beta. None of the Apple commericals/demos said anything like that.

Steve Savva says:

It is down in NY for sure. My brother and I are having the same issue. We have 16 and 32 GB models. a black and white both on AT&T. I have tried with WiFi and over 3G and still the same. Re-Booting doesn't do anything. Strange thing is that it was working quite well early this morning.

Erik says:

Intermittent. Was down most of the morning, but she comes back!

Chris Brideaux says:

Oh oh....SIRI has become SELF-AWARE! Judgement day on 11-11-2011.

Paul says:

It's been touch and go all morning. Mostly a no go. It's frustrating when you want to actually use the thing to get work done, dictate a message or email, and then it craps out saying it can't connect to the network. I love Siri when it works, but missing features aside, the current implementation is most definitely beta and often unusable.

Ryan Rife says:

I'm getting errors about the service not being available about 50% of the time I try to use it....it's been like that since launch.

andyallen1 says:

Down for me as of this morning!

andyallen1 says:

And now it's back working!

matthew oaks says:

It wouldn't connect to the network yesterday for a few minutes. I went into settings, then siri and turned it off, then turned it back on, and it has worked fine for me since then. Everyone should try that instead of complaining all the time!!

ajm91484 says:

It says it can't connect to network and has been doing this off and on since last night.

gammills08 says:

It works fine on wifi but seems to be off and on with 3G. I am on AT&T.

Pholey22 says:

Was off and on earlier today. But she's back to work now. No issues. AT&T in Lexington, KY.

Highlander says:

I just hope that updates to Siri are server side and we do NOT have to wait for regular iOS updates in order to see improvements to Siri.

Acruff01 says:

Siri has been down for the last 2 hours.

X5denali says:

Mine went down as well. VZ wifi & 3G in NJ

siriami says:

Here in the UK, the default Siri voice is - wait for it - a guy!
Puts a whole different spin on things over here. And we don't have all the features you Americans have on it yet (hopefully that will be dealt with soon)
Alistair

Melvinsousa says:

Mine was down to. Does it connect to wifi? I got wifi but it was still saying no network.

Mrjsan says:

Down for me wifi and AT&T 3G since this morning. I miss her :(

Jake says:

Mine has been working fine all day... Verizon, 3G and WiFi at work...
It was awful on Friday and Saturday with all the traffic, but has worked great since Sunday morning...
Edit: Nebraska (btw)

reservoirdawg says:

I had a few hicups yesterday but now it seems to be working wifi it works great on 3g for at&t i had minor problems and it figures those problems happend when i was showing someone how it works.

Vostrow says:

Siri is still not working

KekoaLani says:

I thought mine was down but I just turned my phone off and on again and it worked just fine. Try it. I am curious if this works for others.

Cody Duncum says:

I've had trouble with Siri all day, but also had my 3G and WiFi on (AT&T). The fix for me was to turn the wifi off so it could connect to just the 3G and not have to choose a certain connection. If there's bad reception, on comes wifi. Try to keep it to one connection, and it works great.

OrionAntares#CB says:

She also changed her name to Skynet.

dloveprod says:

When you ask her a dumb question, she should put you on a 5 minute time out.

Craig says:

well, if the useless questions would stop being sent to Siri, the service might actually work for those who want to use it.

Doug says:

Yes. Mine was down for a while this morning too. Looked on twitter and didn't seem like it was everyone. Glad she's back.

Brad Morris says:

Siri seems to be back up at working for me. 3:53pm EST Monday. It was working a little while ago too, maybe 30 minutes ago.

ThisBrian says:

I'm sure everyone and their Mamma had to show off their new phone when they got to work or school.

Myron Magee says:

Its still in BETA. Let them get the bugs out. I admit its a nice feature.

tazh89 says:

what apple services are not working properly,that cant be possible cause everything apple do is flawless

Andrew McCreath says:

Sorry - it's my fault!
I asked "How long is a piece of string?" and "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"
ps - I really did the latter, the response was funny :D

Steven Appenzeller says:

If you examine the data Google delivers every minute of the day it dwarfs the load you just described. There are well over 100 million Android phones, over 200 million Gmail accounts, it answers 3 billion searches PER DAY, serves up 2 to 3 billion YouTube videos PER DAY, 50 million Google+ accounts, provides countless Google Maps and a bevy of other web based products. All this is done by a network of over 1 million huge servers in dozens of data centers across the globe. So perhaps you might want to retract your statement about what Google is set up to do.

Andrew McCreath says:

pps - Ask Siri to tell you a joke :)
roflcopter - there are hundreds of these nuggets...

Jessica says:

It has been down for me all day. I am on AT&T and on 3G. I have tried restarting my phone and it does not fix it.

Roland Lauther says:

Was not connecting to the Verizon network in St Lawrence County NY and a reset of network (Apple tech agent suggested) did the trick.

Jkooba says:

I went in and turned Siri off in settings under general. Waited a few seconds then reset my network. Waited a few seconds and turned Siri back on and it's working fine now.

Jwolfe says:

Woo hoo worked for me too!

Noemail says:

Siri is down for me on AT&T, restarting did no good, and she is down on wifi and 3G. Bought my phone about an hour ago...really annoyed. Isn't it funny we can get mad at technology we didn't have just days ago?

Agnusdei80 says:

Wow. I am browsing the comments on this page and I can't help but notice how much people defend Apple. "It's in Beta." It must be the high demand for such an awesome product." (Paraphrasing) If this outage was occurring on a Google, Blackberry or Microsoft platform, there would be people with torches and pitch forks at their gates. I am not even sure what is meant by "in Beta". Apple and/or the people on this message board can say that all they want, but it was still released on a production phone to users that don’t have a clue what Beta even means. Maybe demand on the network is the issue. That is something any tech company their size has the responsibility to recognize and address beforehand. The question becomes, did they recognize and address it successfully?
Apple releases some great products. From what I have seen of Siri, it is one of those products. But give me a break. They are not flawless in everything they do. It is okay to criticize when it is warranted. I think it is warranted here and on a few other things.

Vodriscoll says:

I have no problems with Siri in my home city of Plattsburgh, NY, but in the village where I work (11 miles south of Plattsburgh) Siri can not connect to a network.

John Hong says:

See, I'm not hallucinating! I have this problem! LEMONS! They sold me a lemon!

Judy Bogdanove says:

SIRI is down this morning....waiting a long time for Applecare -- must be system-wide. Patience. She's overworked and probably just taking a little nap.

Cagney1111 says:

Siri is down. First tried to reset, then reboot phone and it's still down. I heard it's from too much traffic. Get the bugs out apple. It's just an expensive iPhone 4 without Siri.

Price_oc says:

I have an iPhone 3G and it seems that Siri is permanently down. I've tried resetting my network settings and iPhone several times and nothing works. In fact, Siri, which I have been using successfully for months, went down the same days as the 4S launch.

Nick Danger says:

Siri isn't intended to work on the 3G

Nick Danger says:

So, if Siri is going down on me, how come I'm not getting off?

Morac says:

Siri is down again.
What's really annoying is that when Siri goes down, voice commands that work without turning Siri on such as voice dialing and playback control cease to function. I have no idea why that is, but it's really annoying.
Also Apple, if Siri is in beta, why do the commercials feature it?

Morac says:

Siri is down again.
Also Apple, if Siri is in beta, why do the commercials feature it?

Disappointed Buyer says:
  1. Reboot(check)
    2."Disable" Siri, reset network settings then "enable" Siri(check)
  2. Nothing worked to get Siri up and running again(check)

I just got my 4S a few days ago and I must say this is diappointing. What's good about a new feature if it doesn't work when you want/need it to?! It worked fine the first couple of days but for the past 24hrs it says "sorry I'm having trouble connecting to the network". This better be fixed and soon!

Christian Ellis says:

Siri is down for me... has been all day. I've tried it on wi-fi and AT&T 3G.

Ramona Rodriguiz says:

Siri worked great the first 2-3 days, then we were getting messages that it had problems connecting to the network. It popped back in for a night, then for the past few days, Siri does work, but doesn't talk. So we can ask it a question verbally, but instead of Siri talking back, it searches and produces solutions to our question on either Safari or Wikipedia -- but Siri doesn't talk any longer. We are on Verizon in NC -- has anyone else had this "partial" loss of Siri function?

Hoe says:

Siri is not working for me, am I holding it wrong?

Hoe says:

Siri is not working for me, am I holding it wrong?

Hoe says:

Siri is not working for me, am I holding it wrong?

Hoe says:

Siri is not working for me, am I holding it wrong?

Hoe says:

Siri is not working for me, am I holding it wrong?

Hoe says:

Siri is not working for me, am I holding it wrong?

Hoe says:

Siri is not working for me, am I holding it wrong?

Hoe says:

Siri is not working for me, am I holding it wrong?

Hoe says:

Siri is not working for me, am I holding it wrong?

Hoe says:

Siri is not working for me, am I holding it wrong?

Scott2james says:

Usage of Siri on Verizon 3G appears to still be down. Anyone know if there is a fix on the way?

Mo says:

it worked all weekend, but is down today- trying to show it off to co-workers. No biggie though, it is beta testing. The thing is they will keep working on the software and it will get better and better.
It's still fun to ask it stupid questions!!! And I like thanking her, she comes up with cool things like "it is my pleasure to serve you", or "your wish is my command".

Mo says:

Derk says:

Mine has been down all day. Tried everything and nothing works to correct. Last Time I spoke to Apple the comment I got from them is "Well you have to understand it in Beta testing at the moment and you have to expect problems as they fix all the bugs" My reply is then stop building your entire advertisement campaign around Siri as it is not working most of the time.