If redsn0w isn't doing it for you, and you're a Mac user, you may be wondering how to Jailbreak iOS 5.0 and iOS 5.0.1 using Ac1dSn0w. Ac1dSn0w is a newly released jailbreak tool that'll allow you to tethered Jailbreak most iOS devices (unfortunately, still not iPhone 4S or iPad 2).
Currently supported devices
- iPhone 3G/3GS
- iPhone 4
- iPod Touch 4th generation
- iPad 1
What you need
- One of the supported devices listed above
- A Mac running either OS X Lion or OS X Snow Leopard
- Ac1dSn0w - Download here
Jailbreak your device
- Once you've downloaded Ac1dSn0w, open it.
- Next connect your device to your Mac and power it off.
- If you've already gotten your device in DFU (device firmware update) mode, just click Jailbreak. If you don't, tick the checkmark box that says Show Assistant and a prompt will come up that will help walk you through putting your device in DFU mode.
- Once your device is in DFU mode, hit the Jailbreak button on the main screen of Ac1dSn0w.
- Let Ac1dSn0w do its thing.
Perform a tethered boot
- After you jailbreak the phone will reboot which will require you to perform a tethered boot. Use the assistant in Ac1dSn0w to put your phone back in DFU mode.
- This time instead of clicking Jailbreak, you'll click on Tethered Boot.
You'll need to perform a tethered boot anytime your phone is completely turned off. You can still install applications that require the springboard to restart as that won't require a tethered boot. The only time you'll need to tethered boot is if your phone dies completely or you turn it off.
While this program will do the same thing as programs like RedSn0w, feel free to use whatever program you find the easiest. If you do happen to try out Ac1dSn0w, let us know how it went. And if you run into issues or have questions, check out our TiPb jailbreak and unlock forums.