How to disable iMessage alerts for people that aren't in your contacts
If you use iMessage frequently for both work and personal, there may come times when you don't want to be disturbed by messages from people you don't know. iMessage gives you the ability to disable alerts from people that aren't in your Contacts app. You'll still receive the messages, you just won't receive audible alerts for messages from people you don't know.
How to stop getting iMessage alerts for non-contacts
- Launch the Settings app from the Home screen of your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on Notifications.
- Scroll down and find Messages. Tap on it.
- Now scroll down towards the bottom and you'll see a section for who you receive iMessage alerts from. Tap the option for My Contacts Only.
That's it. You'll now only receive alerts for messages from people you have in your contacts. It is worth noting though that this feature only works for iMessage alerts. If someone not using iMessage sends you a regular text, you'll still receive it and get an alert.
How to get more help with iMessage
If you're having issues getting iMessage to activate, get more help at the iMore forums, and for more tips, check out:
- How to enable and activate (or re-activate) iMessage
- How to add additional email addresses to iMessage
- How to send texts using iMessage
- How to send photos using iMessage
- How to send videos using iMessage
- How to send contact cards using iMessage
- How to send map locations using iMessage
- How to send Voice Memos with iMessage
- How to turn on and off read receipts in iMessage
- How to delete iMessages on iPhone and iPad
- How to copy or forward iMessages on iPhone and iPad
- How to increase privacy with iMessage
- How to report iMessage spam to Apple
- How to block iMessages on the iPhone or iPad
- How to block iMessages on the Mac
- How to disable iMessage on iPhone if you switch to Android