Facebook 3.0 for iPhone Now in iTunes App Store

Facebook 3.0 for iPhone

Yep, you read the headline right, after many days of anticipation, and a few minutes of is-it-or-isn't-it, Facebook 3.0 [Free - iTunes link] for iPhone (and iPod touch) is now live in the iTunes App Store. Go download it now, or check out Chad's preview if you're still on the fence... (Why would you still be on the fence, it's the biggest social network in the 'verse and it's for free!)

Note: It's not showing up for every user in every store on every device yet, so be patient, try searching, try iTunes on your PC or Mac, try it on the iPhone, or just wait a bit and it'll be all good...

If/when you do get it, let us know what you think. Finally better than the WebApp? Better than the full on web version? Hit the comments below or drop us a line on our Facebook page!

[Thanks to everyone who mailed and tweeted us!]

Location-Based Home Screens, Speech to Text, Image Transport, Event-Based Contacts, In-Call File Transfer -- Apple iPhone Patent Watch!

Metro Paris, London Bus, Yelp! -- Augmented Reality Apps Appearing Now in App Store

v_nes says:

It came out at 5:50 EST and it's great. it about time, took too long if you ask me but it's a nice app and i like all the updates

earless puppy says:

Finally... woo woo my iPhone is complete now

just_me#IM says:

The overall layout makes it easier to read but it's still missing a huge function of being able to delete posts!! Maybe it's there and I just can't find it but I think it's ludacris to have to login to the normal site on the phone to delete something.

Jojo10040 says:

Is it not out in the US? I click on the link and takes me to the old facebook in the app store. I've searched for it on the AppStore and it doesn't say it's the new one compatible with 3.0

Drake says:

It's very pretty as expected. And sooooo functional. I keep forgetting that all I can do all of this now cuz of the update. I love it.

Jay says:

not out for me either...

Jay says:

"Note: Even if it says Facebook 2.5, it is actually Facebook 3.0 due to caching. Delete the old app and reinstall or wait until Apple updates its cache.
-"

Phrint says:

It took a while to push to my phone for an update. Be patient. I really like the new layout!

Jay says:

That worked I now have it!

Pierluigi says:

It's fantastic, great UI, I love the home screen and the fact that you can customize it.
Pervasive landscape mode is a very welcome feature, basically it looks like a brand new app, everything is different and better now, incredibly more usable.

RADEN says:

I think I may actually use this app more than the website from now on. Pre-3.0 was abysmal.

Greg says:

Just checked & it's not showing up...

Dunpizzle says:

Love the new UI. Wish I could view groups too. Can't wait till push comes out(though I'll only have it set to show badges rather than alerting me for every notification)

Jay says:

@greg do what i said earlier, it works

Dragonfly says:

Wow, fantastic update! For those of you finding it hard to update, just delete the app and reinstall it, that worked perfectly for me.

Chipper says:

Oh yeah, this is every bit as good as I expected. And I do actually like it more than the full web version!

dave jones says:

The uninstall - reinstall trick worked for me as well.

TosaDeac says:

What an improvement. Much snappier and I like the addition of being able to view pages and have favorites too. News feed seems more like the web version than the randomness of the previous App version.
I could not find it on my iPhone but then I hit the link in the post and the App Store went right to it. Odd

Oliver says:

@sal It is there. Just swipe along the post, update,.... just like you would do in mail.

Christian says:

Now facebook is perfect.Best app in the app store.!

Pricej636 says:

Is it me, or does everything load quite a bit quicker? Overall I am happy, worth the wait so far!

sting7k says:

Works very nicely. If not getting the update in iTunes you can delete it off your iPhone and download again, you will get the 3.0 version.

devonair says:

wow... I'm loving this on my ipod touch. Now I'm even MORE jealous of some of these apps that I don't yet have equivalents for on my Pre.

blingbing says:

Today shall be known as Facebook day. People will rejoice and cry tears of happiness.

latestarter05 says:

Got it! It was waiting for me in my updates. So far so good.

krazie.k says:

Uninstall/Reinstall worked here

d{~_~}b says:

Got a lil' more of a Flow to it...

FB 3.0 Problem says:

The people I have blocked can see my status updates when I post from my iPhone via 3.0... smh

scottb says:

Looks good.
I like the "add to favorites" and other new items.
I hope it's more reliable than 2.5 - that was my main gripe.

heathsnow says:

Finally. I wish the developer(s) had more incremental updates instead of one massive update. I like my new features to trickle.

Hmmm says:

Is it me or can you not poke people on it?!

Jules says:

Where's the live-feed????????

Martin says:

Seems pretty sweet, all my event dates/times are screwed up though :(

Larry J. Rutledge says:

I've been waiting for this for months ... so excited it's finally here. And it's every bit as great as I had hoped!!

Rob says:

Wow it is fantastic my iPhone is truly complete it is just as good as website now on desktop kudos to developer

max710 says:

app wont load...
i updated it, but now when i touch the icon, it goes to a white screen, then back to the home screen

Andrew jaymes says:

I love it! It's the best update I've seen so far!!! Keep up the good work.

BSUNesto says:

@max710
got the same thing here. Uninstalled, Reinstalled, rebooted, opened app, got the white screen, app shut down on it's own, opened app again, got white screen, set phone down and walked away, came back 3 Mins later and it's worked perfect since then!

Drizzy says:

When u click on friends, the app crashes. But everything else is good.

Mashono says:

I love this update! I've already gotten used to it, it's running great no problems! Kudos to the developer!

Sirstopher says:

Just follow the link posted in the review

eTron says:

Everything works great, but youtube video launching was removed. Would like to be able to add and remove friends and fan pages too. Maybe next time. Only real complaint is the youtube issue. Friends post a lot of videos and music that way.

Visi says:

This facebook app is superb

Earless Puppy says:

@Sal
even in the last version 2.5, you could swipe to delete and maybe even in 2.0

fastlane says:

The man did an outstanding job on this update. Thank you!

Ichorus says:

So facebook and flixter submitted after spotify are out? Something political happening with it? Changes to the app maybe, I wish spotify would update us if it is the case.
Facebook, even on iPhone 3G. Is soooooo smooth. Joe hewitt is great. Love all the features. Don't really see the dire need for push. Sure it will be useful when it comes.

Jesikae2009 says:

This app is incredible - Fantastic update - I will absolutely use this way more than the web version. Great UI, Great Speed, Great job!

gilbyrocks says:

If you view your notifications on facebook.com, they still show up as new on the 3.0 app. Annoying bug. Other than that it's great so far.

Joe McG says:

Told my wife to update the Facebook app. She did. Her phone froze and wouldn't startup anymore. Tried to restore from backup. The phone froze and wouldn't restore. Now the phone won't restore and, of course, it's my fault for telling her to update.
Thanks Facebook app...

Slp says:

Works beautiful but when it Wont let me see my notifications

Gregg says:

Its the right turn arrow at the top of your friends profile page

ScrappyIrish says:

It wouldn't update for me until I opened the old version of it on the phone, closed it, and then went back into to update. For some reason it wouldn't show as an update until after I opened and closed the app. That trick worked for me and my wife's phone. Good luck! I love it!

fastlane says:

I never saw the new update either, and I had no App Store updates badge. I just clicked INSTALL on the old Facebook and the new one instaled. Sounds like some people went through a lot of unnecessary trouble for nothing.

Meteor says:

Issues!!!! Ugh. It looks great, but it's hit and miss as to what actually shows up in the newsfeed compared to web interface. Updating status is easily confused with posting to own wall. Can't tell if push is active or not. Haven't found settings for it yet. Leaving the first comment on a note is easy enough, but trying to get back in to see what others say after you is not so easy. When someone comments on your status (when updated in app), it says they commented on your "post." But when they comment on your status updated from web, it acknowledges it's a "status." I think those are the only things so far. Also couldn't use chat, but that really doesn't bother me. It's spotty even on the web. I'm really not trying to whine, there are a lot of cool features!!!

pat says:

mine has landscape mode for most functions. is that supposed to be like that because i thought landscape was coming in the 3.1 update

shadowagent says:

Fb 3.0 crashed on me on first start-up (white screen then back to home screen) but since then it has been smooth sailing on my 3G! Everything about it seems great. Faster, smoother, and I even got a real-time notification when someone posted a comment on my wall. The whole UI seems so much cleaner and not as cramped. Awesome update!

Murdock1985 says:

It is by far One of the best apps I have. Great job.

Michael says:

Installed it via the post's link... did a reset on the phone and it crashed my phone... i had to do a system restore
Did the same thing on my wife's phone and it crashed her phone too... in the middle of restoring her phone as we speak...
anyone else with this problem?

Backbone says:

Its good but has some bugs.

David says:

This app is smooth by far the best FB app I've worked with the last gave u limited things to do I would have to log on to the website for alot of things....
Now since we finally got this hopefully AT&T will drop the 3.1 so we can get MMs lol

C.J. says:

I'm glad you babies finally got your update. Now may you all will stop crying. Then again I doubt it!

jtorrebl says:

How do I upload video from 3gs?

killakow says:

C.J. can u suck my balls?

seaprince says:

Won't let me update my status or post comments over wifi :(

jonar1us says:

I GOT THE UPDATE THANX TO TWITTER...

mtbroadie says:

Is anyone else noticing that Facebook chat no longer vibrates to notify you when someone replies? I checked the settings tab and it's set to "on." Must be a bug?

Andrew says:

It looks good but seems to screw up the birthdays for all my friends. Says everyone is only 8 years old and doesnt show the actual dates properly - anyone else get this?

Glenn says:

When on the Updates tab of the Inbox, even though it technically "allows" you to delete the updates, they pop right back up.
My wife isn't keen on how they organize who's online for chatting, but other than those two, we're both pretty happy with this!

danka58 says:

tweet says that FB is bricking. Runs ggreat on my iPhone 3gs.

abishepherd says:

C. J: if u don't give a shit why r u wasting ur time posting on here?!!! Why don't u go to another article or forum and post some abuse on there instead!!

Cory says:

they come out with an update RIGHT when i download videofacebook uploader damn!

TosaDeac says:

My friend with a brand new 3GS has a different icon for FaceBook than I do on my 2G and is getting badges when he has a notifications. What's the story? Anyone else notice that feature? I thought that was not available yet!

RedDevil#IM says:

More of a Twitter fan than a Facebook fan but I have to admit, this is a very nice update..

Mayr says:

Definitely better than it was, but I still get errors on certain screens - for example, when there's a friend request and I click on the link to "friends in common", there's an error on the friends in common screen. But, I do love the main screen with the grid of icons that show little red-numbers if there are updates.
Still a little clunky, e.g., doesn't seem to be a way to "like" someone's photos or updates, but then the web app is also clunky, still, and needs an overhaul.

northstahr says:

Great app! I love all of the improvements and the fact that it now looks closer to what I see on my PC. Cudo's to the developer for this one!

Ivan says:

It all seems good except that for me the notifications will not display. I just get an error message! (added by Mobile using Mippin)

Kick Butt Applications says:

great update for a super great app for an even super great device ... my beloved iPhone LOL.
I see more an more people using the mobile feature of facebook! Facebook is already a popular site, ad I can see this app hitting the top.
Kick Butt

Mike says:

Facebook wont post anything comments, status or pics.

AmyLouise says:

I deleted the old facebook application on my ipod touch because it wasn't working properly so that i could re-install it, but the old one is not there so i went to install the new one wont because it doesn't have the iPhone 3.0 software update.
What can i do to get it to work??
I'm always on facebook, please help me LOL x

Frankiedistefano says:

It sounds great but is there going to be one foe the iPod touch or is this going to work for it

Frankiedistefano says:

Because mine doesn't work and idk what to do

Ben! says:

For whatever reason, my notifications aren't popping up at the bottom of the news feed when I log in. When the new update first came up, I remember them popping up at the bottom and I could access them that way instead of having to access the notifications by clicking in the upper left corner and then selection "Notifications" at the bottom. Is there a reason for this? Is it something I can turn back on?

Coder98 says:

The man told Lehi to follow him but Lehi was soon lost and he traveled for many hours. ,

Merlin54 says:

Standard models of comparative advantage indicate that pushing specialization up the product scale in this fashion would be bad for an economyos health: it would simply distort production and create es ciency losses. ,

dmsomeone says:

the real story isn't that the iphone is downloading phone numbers from facebook but that facebook is uploading phone numbers from the iphone. doesn't anyone else see that as an problem? i'm not going to install this and send facebook all of my contact information but certainly many people i know with iphones are going to be sending facebook MY phone number without my permission.

Vikas says: