Last month, we shared the news that the first-ever Pokémon GO Invitational Tournament was coming up and a competition was being held to select one lucky fan who would get to take part in the tournament. That fan has been selected and now, the tournament (and the 2019 Pokémon World Championships as a whole) is almost here. After the opening ceremony, the tournament will begin at 9:30 a.m. EST.
Here's the announcement regarding the time from the official Pokémon GO Twitter account:
In the tournament, eight different competitors will be fighting for the right to be named champion. Here are the rules that were shared for the upcoming tournament:
- Players will compete in a double-elimination tournament
- Each match will be best-of-five
- Battles will take place in the Great League with some additional restrictions
- Competitors must select a team of six Pokémon they'll choose between for the entire tournament
- None of the six Pokémon may be of the same species
All of the fans attending the 2019 Pokémon World Championships in person will be able to try out the upcoming Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games, as well as Pokémon Masters, which is a new upcoming Pokémon mobile title. For more information on the 2019 Pokémon World Championships, you can check the official website here.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.