Are these iPhone HD/iPhone 4G video call settings?

Could these be shots of iPhone HD/iPhone 4G iChat video call settings screens taken off field test units? Who knows, they don't look 960x640 to our pixel peepers but with WWDC 2010 and the supposed unveiling only a few weeks away, anything is possible.

So let us know, real, fake, or really fake?

[BGR]

iPhone live podcast #100!

Bloomies game for iPhone - app review and give-away

Dexter says:

Is this really worth commenting on? Seriously?

Cobra5mil says:

Real, fake, or really fake?
The answer is: YES

Ultimatemoe says:

@Cobra5mil WOW xD
and @dexter same here :D
we'll just have to wait and see whatthewwdcwill_bring to us.
2 weeks and one beta to go.. cmon -.-"

Tenor146 says:

It would be SO easy to Photoshop this. Try really fake. lol

Jamesy says:

So fake it really isn't worth making a post about.
Why don't you write some more posts advertising the $15 headphone splitter you sell and then disable comments on it? Seriously, rivalling Monster.

Rory says:

That watermark looks like a underlay not a overlay to me.

Traq-pro says:

I get asked if they are real or fake all the time

Jellotime91 says:

It would definitely be 960x640 if it were actually real. I have designed apps already in 960x640, I could've made a better fake than this.

websyndicate says:

Photoshop i say.....maybe GIMP

Dominick says:

why do you guys still call it iPhone HD/iPhone 4G. it's NOT going to be called that. if Apple made their new phone called iPhone HD they would be copying HTC HD2 too much. and it's not going to be called iPhone 4G. the name of the iPhone being released this summer is going to simply be called "iPhone 4". in 2011 when AT&T starts rolling out 4G towers, Apple will make the "iPhone 4G". followed by maybe..."iPhone 4GS"!

Carolinamic says:

I think this real. Out of all the iPhone launches I would say that this one has put out the most correct info.

Art VanBuren says:

@Trag-pro
Im sure they're real and they're spectacular :lol:

sfwrtr says:

Is it by implication fake because of low resolution?
Probably not.
OS 4 will run on the G and GS. It is reasonable that either will should be able to receive video calls. G and GS will initially be most of the installed base.
Also... Who says Apple, who does everything better, won't also enable using the back camera during a video call! This is to say, I could talk about and describe something I'm look at that way.

Gianni says:

The font isn't even the same. they clearly used the video option and just added call debugging.

SoCo_Jon says:

this is what i think......

jimstrangelove says:

wowwwwwwwww. i LOVVVVE how TiPB makes a huge deal for the looongest time about people calling the next iphone the "iphone 4G". every single post they used to put on here made sure to iterate that it WONT be called 4G and now thats the exact name they adopted. so annoying. i used to enjoy reading this blog but slowly and surely it is becoming a waste of time

P0150N37RY says:

I love people who comment to bash TiPB. Some useful constructive comments would help them to be a better blog, but what do I know? this is the Internet, event horizon of douchebaggery.
But I digress. What with all the things that have been leaking over the past few months, video calls are but a hair's breadth away.

Carlos says:

Wow! I like video phone and iPhone for the deaf people... Star!!

Piper says:

Actually Dominic has a valid point.
"4th Gen iPhone" is more accurate, takes up less space & is less confusing.
Just my $0.02 worth.

jonar1us says:

the new iPhone Will be called the "iPhone Pro"

BrianTufo says:

I hope it's real but I guess we will know one way or the other in a few weeks!

Quasarn says:

That picture there may be fake but video call with the HD is really real!

Shrike says:

I'm curious by what magic is Apple going to make this work. Upstream bandwidth on 3G is something like 300 kbit/s. My ATT DSL upstream is about 450 kbit/s. 320x240 highly compressed Skype video is ok on my DSL and likely ok on 3G.
If it's 960x640, I can't imagine that working out that well. At best they have to stick with 640x480, half of the purported next gen iPhone screen res. Still 640x480 at 30 fps would seem an awesome technical achievment over 3G and most ADSL broadband.

Random says:

I do think that video call will be in the 4th Generation iPhone, but this view does not seam very "Apple-like". Think about it, Apple always markets and produces under the impression that everything they make is perfect (right or wrong, just being honest as I see it). It strikes me as odd that Mr. Jobs would put in a Debugging feature if Apple always advertises that everything "just works".
@sfwrtr
Allowing the 3Gs to video-chat with the rear facing camera also does not sound very "Apple-like". They did not enable video-recording or voice command on the 2G or 3G, even though they could have. I would bet you my house that only the 4th Generation will have video-chat (just an expression, I am not legally obligated to give you my house if I am wrong lol).

Random says:

To clarify, "View" in the first sentence of my last post was referring to she screenshot.

Devin says:

DevinBriggs.com
DevinBriggs.com
DevinBriggs.com
DevinBriggs.com
DevinBriggs.com

icebike says:

@Shrike:

I’m curious by what magic is Apple going to make this work.

I doubt they will attempt 960x640, or even half of that. There would be no need to attempt full resolution unless BOTH ends were on wifi. And forget that 30 FPS, in the 3G world in will be less than half that.
If they rely heavily on some of the compression schemes like skype uses they can get the bandwidth requirements down quite a bit, but it is still not likely going to be as good as YouTube over 3G, due to the fact they have bidirectional traffic.
A hand held device is going to be much harder to compress than a web-cam on a laptop or desktop. Handheld devices move, which means the background moves, which means you have to transmit the whole frame, not just the central area (the head). Many compression schemes send non changing screen portions (background) only every few frames.
A bandwidth adaptive solution (like youtube) would put Apple in good position for both 3G, WiFi, and (someday) 4G. But still I predict way less than full screen image size. Even over wifi.

JoeMONEY says:

the next iphone will probably be called iphone bold or iphone storm.
@Dominick - iphone 4 - hahaha

johnny says:

Real or fake doesn't matter...one thing for sure..apple could put all these features in it, and in about 3 months after its released. it'll be old news lol

Shrike says:

@Icebike
The magic could simply be some custom compression hardware, a good accelerate framework implementation using the Neon SIMD unit or an OpenCL implementation using the PowerVR SGX GPU.
I think they'll support 30 or maybe 24 fps at 640x480 on WIFI, they degrade to 320x240 on 3G. They probably do 640x480 if it has HSUPA or they've taken the upstream limiter off. They can make it work as long as it gets consistent 300 to 400 kbit per second and can do the compression.
The magic will be in the compression implementation. They definitely need some special hardware or software for that. Who knows maybe it has something unique in the SoC.
I'm pretty sure that Apple will not settle for 15 fps. They'll want an absolute minimum of 24 fps, at degraded resolution before they'd drop to 15 fps.