Disclaimer - Neither TiPb nor I take any responsibility for any problems/issues/bricking/etc. that may occur while using this software to modify your iPhone. Please be aware of what you are doing.
IMPORTANT: If you have a iPhone 3G that you want to unlock you must use the preserving baseband method - only available on Macs.
There has been a lot of buzz going on in the forums regarding jailbreaking the iPhone 2.2.1 firmware lately, and a lot of questions to go along with i t!. Today we're going to take a deeper look at the exact steps you have to take to get your iPhone jailbroken on your Mac.
Let's get started, after the jump!
1. Get the Tools
First and foremost make sure your iPhone is updated to the 2.2.1 firmware. If you're not yet running 2.2.1, update via iTunes. We'll wait. Honest.
All good? Okay, next make sure your iPhone is not connected to your Mac. Then create a new folder on your desktop and name it "Pwnage". Next you will need to download the following tools:
- 2.2.1 Firmware IPSW for first generation iPhone (2G)
2.2.1 Firmware IPSW for iPhone 3G
[BE SURE TO SELECT THE PROPER FIRMWARE VERSION, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT]
2. Install the ToolsNow double click on the firmware file you just download to mount QuickPwn. Once mounted click and drag the QuickPwn application into the Pwnage folder you created on your desktop.
3. Launch QuickPwnSimply double click the QuickPwn icon to get started, click ok to accept the copyright notice and we are ready to begin.
4. Connect your iPhoneYou will be asked to connect your iPhone to your Mac, do this now and then click ok.
5. Begin Pwnage!QuickPwn will now detect whether you have connected an original iPhone (2G) or iPhone 3G. Now the software will search for the 2.2.1 ipsw firmware file you downloaded a few minutes ago.
6. Customize Your iPwnNext you will be asked if you would like to replace the original boot and recovery logos on your iPhone. Select Yes or No to continue. [If you select yes, you will have the nifty little pineapple logo at startup instead of a apple.] Now QuickPwn will create your custom IPSW file. Once that process is complete you must enter in your OS X system password to continue. (Just like when you update certain applications).
7. PAY ATTENTION: Here's the Tricky PartThis next part can be a bit tricky but as long as you pay attention to exactly what the software tells you, you should have zero issues. You have to put your iPhone into DFU mode. First turn off your device. Next, you will be prompted to hold down both the home and power button for 10 seconds. Lastly, you will release the power button while you continue to hold down the home button for another 10 seconds.
8. Sit Back and WaitQuickPwn will now begin to work it's magic. Be patient while QuickPwn is modifying your iPhone. It will take a few minutes. [Do NOT do anything to your computer or iPhone while this process is taking place] Your phone will the reboot and once it starts back up you will see the Installer app along with Cydia, and you are done!
9. We Have Jailbreak!You have just jailbroken your iPhone! Now wasn't that simple? We'll be back soon with our Windows PC edition, and in the meantime if you want more information or help troubleshooting please head over to our section of the forums dedicated to jailbreaking. There are plenty of members of our community that can help you out!