AT&T, Verizon stores to start selling iPad on October 28

iPad + Mi-Fi on Verizon

AT&T and Verizon Wireless stores are going to start selling the iPad on October 28. Verizon will be selling the Wi-Fi only iPad, but bundling it with their Mi-Fi mobile hotspot service.

The cost for iPad Wi-Fi + Mi-Fi on Verizon will be $630, $730, and $830, plus a no-contract $20 for 1GB on the Mi-Fi EVDO data.

"This is the perfect pairing for holiday travels," said John Stratton, chief operating officer for Verizon Wireless. "iPad together with the nation's largest and most reliable 3G data network allows customers to easily connect on the go wherever they are."

"We're thrilled to be working with Verizon Wireless to get iPad into the hands of even more customers this holiday season," said Tim Cook, Apple's COO. "iPad allows users to connect with their apps and content in a more intimate, intuitive and fun way than ever before, and together with Verizon Wireless we're offering an easy way to stay connected wherever you go."

AT&T will be offering the iPad Wi-Fi + 3G at regular prices and under the existing plans.

"We can't wait to showcase the amazing features of iPad Wi-Fi + 3G in our stores across the country just in time for the holidays," said Glenn Lurie, AT&T President of Emerging Devices, Resale and Partnerships, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. "With our breakthrough iPad data plans starting at just $14.99 and access to AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots around the country at no extra cost, our customers will have the best of both worlds."

"We look forward to expanding the reach of iPad, allowing even more customers to experience the magic of iPad for themselves," said Tim Cook, Apple's COO. "As we approach the holiday season, we are very happy that customers will now be able to buy iPad Wi-Fi + 3G at AT&T Stores."

Apple's holiday iPad retail onslaught is coming so fast and so furious that I'm literally running out of jokes to make about where we'll see it next... though I am about to set up a lemonade and iPad stand on the corner...

Anyone going to take Verizon up on their iPad + Mi-Fi?

[Verizon, AT&T, thanks Shawn for the tip!]

Bar Refaeli for iPhone [Give away]

Gaming Controllers for iPhone, Would You Want One?

ghostface147 says:

Hmmm. I have to carry two separate devices if I want to use Verizon's network? Dumb. However selling their product with Verizon is rather interesting.

Mrjr says:

That's bonkers. I'm really shocked by this. I think the clear take-away is that Big Red and Apple are learning to play nice.
Verizon data pricing is really disappointing, although not surprising. They've stated that "we value our data differently than AT&T", and we'd be foolish to think they thought their bits were less valuable than others' bits. No, data pricing is going to get worse and worse.

Mrjr says:

Hopefully they'll at least bundle it with a nice case like the Sprint Overdrive iPad case.

Chris says:

GhostFace
You obviously never seen or heard of a mifi.
The mifi device is better as you can use it for multiple devices.

Mrjr says:

"Better" is relative. It's more versatile, for sure. But it's not built-in or integrated, which can be advantageous or preferrable.

elGordo says:

I'm assuming there will be some kind of case available that will integrate the Mi-Fi device with the iPad, right? If we already have a wi-fi only iPad, can we still get the $20 plan or do we have to buy the iPad through Verizon?

Jkota says:

@Chris how many other devices are you going to use with the mifi when it is capped at 1GB? I don't see any extra benefit there.

west3man says:

The Verizon thing seems pretty ridiculous for multiple reasons.
I hear that MiFi-like devices don't last for more than a few hours, so you could be net-blind despite having your half-powered iPad.
Also, $20 for a single frickin GIG? Kiss my @$$.

ghostface147 says:

@Chris. Yes I have used them and seen them. I just don't want to carry extra things to make it work on Verizon.

nickpthemft says:

My thoughts exactly, West. When I started doing the power calcs, it seemed as if you'd end up with about 30 - 40% battery remaining on the iPad with a dead MiFi. Granted, with only 1GB of data, you'd probably run dry at about 50% battery on your iPad, but that's besides the point.
Overall, a solid move for Apple, mediocre move for Verizon, and neutral at best for AT&T.

Alan says:

Actually, the pricing is interesting..
AT&T: $15 for 250MB, $25 for 2GB - if you go over, it just renews again
Verizon: $20 for 1GB, $35 for 3GB or $50 for 5GB - in Verizon's case, there is an overage charge per GB, but it is equal to (or slightly less than) the average rate per GB for each corresponding monthly plan.
My take on it is that while they don't match the $15 entry plan, they're probably thinking "what good is just 250MB on a device like this" -
So... If you're going to use 250MB or less, AT&T wins. Then up to 1GB, Verizon. Up to 2GB AT&T again. Anything beyond that Verizon. If you're a heavy user, Verizon plans work best - for everyone else, not sure one is truly better, they're just different.
I'm intrigued by this package since it also gives me a usable MiFi for other devices (whereas the AT&T deal locks you to just the device). Also - I can upgrade either the iPad OR the MiFi in the future without having to incur the heavier cost of the integrated device. Finally... the MiFi is TINY!!!

Totalimmortal363 says:

I don't know if I'd want to bring other crap with me just to use my iPad. I hate even having my keys in my pocket, let alone a MiFi thing.

iDavey says:

This seems like the dumbest implementation I've ever seen.
But you know people will eat it up.
It would be better to have the Tab out at the same time...see the ensuing battle. giggles

Jordan says:

Even better solution. Jailbroken iPhone 4 with mywi + wifi iPad = FREE. I have an unlimited Internet plan with my iphone and have never exceeded 5 gigs even with a lot of streaming Slingbox over 3G. Might as well use what I already pay for with AT&T.

Joel says:

If you currently have an iPad or any wifi device you can do the Verizon MiFi plan right now, but it seems they will have special pricing for the iPad and MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot combo.
The MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot costs $269.99 without a contract. Free with a two year contract. It is unclear if the pricing will change with the iPad combo, the data plan is much cheaper than what they are currently offering.
It looks like AT&T wins because you don't have to buy the Hotspot, unless you need find hooking up multiple devices useful.
Or jailbreak and use MyWi.

Joel says:

On second thought, I think I miss understood. Verizon will be basically giving away the MiWi with the iPad. In this case Verizon's deal looks better.

Webvex says:

I took my iPad 3G on a trip recently and never got near the 250MB limit. The difference is streaming. If you load up some books, movies and music in advance, and only use the 3G for email and web browsing, it's a very nice traveling device. But if you think you can't live without streaming it will be more expensive and less reliable either way. Frankly, I don't understand the need to tax one's patience, battery, and wallet with streaming over 3G.

mrtomd says:

Apple and Verizon actually talked to each other and came to somewhat of an agreement! I can't believe this.

AZMerf says:

So if I read this correctly, Verizon is charging $130 for the MiFi device? The regular WiFi only iPad (16GB version) is $500 and Version is charging $630?

darktanone says:

Since I already own an iPad Wi-Fi, I could see myself getting the $20 deal (If they make it available to current owners). I'd simply clip it to my belt. Not ideal, but perfectly workable. I'd just keep it away from vital organs. Don't want my innards getting nuked. LOL

Rob says:

I've been using this bundle since the release of the iPad. I also use the MiFi for the iPhone when out and about (till ATT gets 3G in New Mexico's State capital,) for the laptop when needed, and for the whole house (up to 5 machines) when the Internet is down. I love the MiFi. Lasts a good 4-6 hours on a charge, no more Boingo or hotel Internet charges or headaches, and the network is way reliable. Also, on usage with the iPad, the most I have ever been able to use is 450M in a day, and that was just streaming YouTube and ABC for hours. Granted, the 250M plan is worthless to me, but I've got the 5G, and for anyone that runs their own business, this is clearly worth it. Now that they are getting new plans, I might be able to downgrade to one that actually fits my needs, which is about 2-3 G/mo. I say cool!

as400man says:

I just looked at Verizon's normal mobile broadband site and you can get a MiFi for Free on a new contract. I doubt I'm going to run to the VZW store in 2 weeks for this.
Yes, AZMerf, they are basically charging $130 for the MiFi to get the benefit of a $20/1GB plan.
I have a MiFi that my work provides to me that I use with the iPad because AT&T in Iowa sucks!

dan.b.weber@gmail.com says:

What, no love for Sprint? Makes me wonder if selling the iPads is part of the Verizon iPhone deal.

Glenn#IM says:

Would be better if it was iPad 2Gen. Might go for that. I will wait.

Alan says:

@Ron (post 23) - $20 for 1MB is only one of the options. Another way to look at it is if you are going to be a heavy MiFi user (not necessarily from the iPad), you could get the device for free and pay $60/month for 5GB on a 2 year contract... Or pay $130 (as the add-on to the iPad) and get the same 5GB for $50/month (per the FAQ on the Verizon site) and no contract. Not a bad deal.
To everyone who is heralding this as evidence that Apple and Verizon reached an agreement - all that Verizon really did was agree to carry the same WiFi devices being sold by other stores at the exact same price. The $130 MiFi promotion and the no-contract pricing seems to be Verizon on its own trying to keep people away from AT&T.

Alan says:

Another way to go is to buy the Virgin Mobile MiFi 2200 - Walmart sells it for $130 (that price starting to sound familiar) and get unlimited for $40/month, no contract. For anyone looking to do heavy streaming and who missed the unlimited data deal when the iPad came out, this may be the winner solution.

Mike says:

Sunset Island Music is pleased to announce that it has opened a site called Sunset Island Solar.www.sunsetislandsolar.com
Sunset Island Solar was started to encourage environmental responsibility and believing very strongly that there must be a way to power small, hand held electrical devices in a safe, earth friendly and affordable way that the world could use in a simple form.
We are currently offering a solar phone charger for the IPhone 1-2 3 & 4G that slips onto the phone and is a Solar Charger, A Back Up Battery and a Protective Case all-in-one!
We also are offering a Solar Key Chain charger that fits most cell phones, PDA's and cameras.
Please, THINK GREEN and help save our planet.
After all, it's the only we've go