iPhone 4S to offer 64GB storage option?

Do you want a 64GB iPhone?

9to5Mac's Mr. X claims that not only has the iPhone 4S begun appearing in Apple's internal inventory system, but that it's appearing in 3 capacities. For the last couple of years, Apple has only offered 16GB and 32GB iPhones, with the previous year's model going the budget 8GB size. Could iPhone 4S once again raise the storage stakes to a full 64GB?

Given that we’ve also heard from manufacturing sources that Apple has at least been prototyping 64GB versions of the new iPhone, we would say it’s fairly likely that Apple’s new iPhone will come in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB capacities; just like the iPad.

While iCloud theoretically changes the dynamics of local storage, audiophiles, videophiles, and other who still want to carry around a large volume of media and other files would no doubt still want and use 64GB on-device. It would likely require double density NAND Flash chips to achieve, since iPhone has traditionally had half the storage slots as an iPod touch. If Apple does start using those chips, could a 128GB iPod touch be on the horizon as well, allowing Apple to retire their aging iPod classic player?

We'll find out Tuesday.

Source: 9to5Mac

LEGO embracing the digital age with Life of George iPhone and iPod touch game [video]

Daily Deal: OtterBox Defender Series for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G only $9.95

Riocazz Me says:

I don't see this happening.

Mortgage Rates says:

That's some interesting news about iPhone update. Lets hope that Apple make the 64GB version available for moderate price unlike it's predecessor iPhone 4 which costs a lot.

Gregz0r says:

It makes sense, to kill off the Classic. Good timing too, with it being the 10th anniversary of the iPod and all that. No real use for the Shuffle also, as the Nano can do that job.

thirdprize says:

Shuffle £40 and Nano £131. You do the maths.

Michael Scott Allen says:

There is a reason they've put all this money into iCloud. Forget the 64GB phone. It's never coming.

DiamondDNice says:

icloud is not a substitute for storage.

TKFox007 says:

Wasn't there an iPhone 4 that was supposed to have a 64gb worth of storage?

Boon Daxker says:

Its ghe iphone 5. Thr is no 4s. Carriers had equipment installed to unbrick then new iphone. Bell, telus, on the box it says "iphone 5 unbricking device"

Patrick Sweeney says:

Why do we keep calling this 4S? That's not the right name. We're talking about the model that remains from the previous year's iPhone. That place in the lineup has never been called anything different than its original name. You can go out and buy an 8Gig 3GS, but it was always called a 3GS.
When 3GS was announced, you could go out and buy the 'new' 3G 8Gig, but it was still called 3G.
And I'm sure, you'll be able to buy one of the flavors of iPhone 4 for the next year, but it will still be called iPhone 4.
Unless you believe there will NOT be an iPhone 5 and this will be the only product, then it is appropriate to call it iPhone 4S.

dloveprod says:

I only budgeted enough to spend $299 on a phone, where can I get an extra $100 dollars from. I know sell this $100 back to school card.

Ronnrys81 says:

With larger picture files we will need more space.

DiamondDNice says:

and recording HD 1080p video. especially as it become less compressed.

Brad Welsh says:

Seems like everyone loves the idea of storing all their media in the cloud and accessing it all from there anytime anyplace. The only problem with that is the data caps AT&T and Verizon have. Personally, I'd rather have my music on my device at all time and save my data for more important things.

Carlos223 says:

I would love to see a 64g iPhone; I dont care what you call it!!

Clouded says:

Agreed - but it's already a little tiring that lite apps you try before you buy are also pushed to iTunes and permanently appear on the Purchased tab. We need to be able to control what we want in the cloud...

DeLeon Hughes says:

I really hope they offer 64GB. For me its a not of matter of why, but why not.

Thorndy says:

I want an iPhone 5 not an iPhone 4s. Makes no since.

person287 says:

Doesn't really surprise me that much, the technology is obviously there to put it in so there's no reason they wouldn't that I can think of, they can also probably mark it up a bit more. Also wouldn't be surprised if the next iPod Touch is 128GB.

DiamondDNice says:

Please Please Please be 64gb iphone 5!

ssm says:

somebody with a sense of reality.

Christian says:

I personally was wondering how this would happen. With the cloud one might believe that storage is no longer of the essence, but would an iPhone 5 16GB be able to sync an entire iTunes library of over 15,000 songs and videos without lagging? More space, faster speeds? Sorry these may be really dumb questions but I am trying to decide what size iP5 I need to buy to make sure the cloud works well and I still have ample amount of room. Help?!