PwnDev Team releases Ac1dSn0w jailbreak tool for iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1 [Updated]

It's been a big day for the jailbreak community with a possible iPhone 4S unlock and the new crash reporting tool released by the Chronic Dev Team. Now the PwnDev Team has released a new jailbreak utility for iOS 5 and 5.0.1.

I’m pleased to announce that we’ve just released Beta 1 of Ac1dSn0w for Mac OS X Lion (should also work on Snow Leopard). Ac1dSn0w allows you to jailbreak your iDevice tethered. It also provides features like Tethered Boot, Pwned DFU, and Exit Recovery to get your device out of Recovery Loop.

Ac1dSn0w will perform very much like Redsn0w already does. It will tethered jailbreak the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod Touch 4G.

Ac1dSn0w also includes features such as "Exit Recovery" and "Pwned DFU".

It's great to see new tools being released and more developers stepping up and becoming more actively involved in the jailbreak community. I'll be interested to see how these new tools fair against some of the veteran ones.

UPDATE: Turns out Ac1dSn0w uses copyrighted Apple code, which is a deal

Source: Redmond Pie

Allyson Kazmucha

Help and how to editor for iMore. I can take apart an iPhone in less than 6 minutes. I also like coffee and Harry Potter more than anyone really should.

Rumor: Hitachi and Sony shipping 4-inch displays to Apple for next gen iPhone

iPad vs. iPod touch vs. Kindle Fire: Which should you get?

Bessie says:

Not untethered, not important.

Bessie says:

Not untethered, not important.

John H says:

Ever since some hackers started going to work for the big IT firms seems like it takes longer and longer to get jailbreaks

Sonicsam says:

Word! The iPad 2 is gonna be replaced by the time we get a jailbreak for it... The only real issue I have with apple is basically forcing us out of functionality by making a jailbreak next to impossible... They should just issue the statement "jailbreak is bad! We no like, u break u fix yourself" has anyone been dumb enough to take their jb phone to an apple store and say "this app I got on cydia is all jacked up" apple can say "sorry its not covered and please go away" but instead it's all "let's limit the market by wasting time and resources by stopping the very hacks we plan to steal ( sorry I ment incorporate) into our next iOS release"

Pete says:

As much I appreciate any work at all on the jailbreak scene, this software kinna seems like a waste of time - time that could have been used to create an un-tethered jailbreak?!?! Is there any need for this with RedSn0w already available for Win and Mac?

Pete says:

fastlane says:

In other news, there's a new scanner app available in the App Store.

fastlane says:

It's not important because a tethered jailbreak has already been available. All this does is create a cluster**k of choices and confusion.

J.Teigland says:

Tried 3GS - NOGO hangs on boot after jailbreak stage after 15 mins boots, normal ?!?! Anyone any suggestions ?? (Yes I do know about DFU)

IDonev says:

Um... you do know you have to tether it in order to boot, right?

Pete says:

I understand what you're saying and it's nice to see more players in the game but this particular piece of software is rather like reinventing the wheel.

Hans Madera says:

Agreed i only rebooted my phone once in the last 3 months and that was updating to ios 5 lol Anyway a untethered jb would be nice but tethered do just fine and i bet most of these guys annoying for a untethered dont reboot much either

Brad Morris says:

The reason why is because IF there is that one chance that your phone locks up or you need to reboot it for some reason and you're away from your computer, you're essentially screwed? That's why I haven't jailbroken. If they could ONLY get an untethered jailbreak, I'd be all over it! That and I usually can't get the latest and greatest iOS updates until sometimes months after they're released and jailbroken again. JBing has become an intense hassle and it's a hell of a lot of work. That's my reason for not wanting to do it.

talkin73 says:

I had the same concern but I'm on 5.0.1 with semi-tether and when I reboot away from the computer then what I have is a non-jailbroken iPhone. Get to a computer and dfu boot and jailbreak is back. Rock solid so far after 2 weeks with about 15 tweaks and apps.

Brad Morris says:

Maybe it's because IF there is that one chance that your phone locks up or you need to reboot it for some reason and you're away from your computer, you're essentially screwed? That's why I haven't jailbroken. If they could ONLY get an untethered jailbreak, I'd be all over it!

Almighty Tui says:

still not for 4s/pad2?
nOt important

Ace ✔ says:

Where's the Jailbreak for 4S???!!!

Maximus Flame says:

Could i jailbreak 4.2.9 verizon iphone?

Claustin says:

I've been thinking about giving the tethered jb a try but I'm leery of it in case my phone crashes. Plus SOME of the cydia apps require a restart to install. Is a tethered reboot as easy as plugging it in and choosing reboot in the jb app?

Jellis1414 says:

Come on guys.... I love the iPhone 4S.... but I am missing sooo much with out the Jailbreak that I am thinking about going back to the iPhone 4. Until the Jailbreak for the 4S comes out, I don't see how any of this is Breaking news? Everyone I know has gone to the iPhone 4S.... Why all this work to the 4? I dont get it? Why not get the 4S going, its so much faster, and better with SIRI.
If money is a motivator - I am sure the community would be more than ready to help pay the people working hard for the new Jailbreak. But this sucks as of now.... It really really SUCKs... I am getting so board with the regular iPhone, that I actually looking at DROIDS and Window phones. At least some exciting and Fun support..... PLEASE... Jailbreak iPhone 4S.

Jellis1414 says:

Sorry to say this, but who Gives a Crap about iPhone 4S unlock. And why the heck would that come before a Jailbreak for the iPhone 4S? This baffles me.

Shanks says:

No love for IPad 2? Does this work for the iPad 2 or not?

EagleyeSmith says:

... Untethered, please. Then I'll update, thank you very much.

fastlane says:

This serves no different purpose.

Someone says:

Two questions: 1) Does it preserve baseband? 2) Does it activate the phone?

Robert Roehm says:

This program is like the Ford Edsel.

Morris says:

Aw, this was an exceptionally nice post. Spending some time and actual effort to make
a really good article… but what can I say… I put things off a whole lot and never manage to get anything done.
my web-site :: read this blog