Read and send all your iMessages on all your Apple products.
iMessage is great way to send and receive text and multimedia images with any iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad running iOS 5 or higher, as well as any Mac running at least OS X Mountain Lion. Along with receiving iMessages at your phone number on the iPhone, you can receive iMessages at your Apple ID email address on iOS and OS X as well. But what if you've got more than one email address and you want to be able to use all of them with iMessage? Follow along and we'll show you how!
Before you can start using an email address for iMessage, however, you'll need to make sure it's not an existing Apple ID. If your email addresses are @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com your email address is automatically an Apple ID. If you have an iTunes account, the email address associated with that, and with FaceTime, are also automatically Apple IDs.
You can only have one Apple ID linked to iMessage account at a time. However, if you have additional, non-Apple ID email addresses you'd like to use with iMessage, such as Gmail, Yahoo, or Hotmail accounts that aren't connected as an Apple ID, you can set those up.
How to add multiple email address to iMessage on iPhone and iPad
- Launch the Settings app from your Home screen.
- Swipe up to scroll down the menu.
Tap on the Messages button.
- Now tap on the Send & Receive button.
- Tap on the Add Another Email... button. It is located underneath the You can be reached by iMessage at: section.
Type in the email you'd like to add and hit return on your keyboard.
That's it. You'll receive an email asking you to confirm you have access to the entered email account. Once you do that you're ready to start sending iMessages from the newly added address!
How to get more help with iMessage
If you're having issues getting iMessage to activate, get more help at the iMore forums, and for more tips, check out:
- How to enable and activate (or re-activate) iMessage
- How to add additional email addresses to iMessage
- How to copy or forward iMessages on iPhone and iPad
- How to delete iMessages on iPhone and iPad
- How to set messages to automatically delete themselves with iMessage
- How to save space on your iPhone or iPad by setting iMessage videos to automatically delete
- How to edit the expiration of audio messages in iMessage
- How to increase privacy with iMessage
- How to send texts using iMessage
- How to use quick reply messaging with iMessage
- How to mute individual message threads in iMessage
- How to leave group messages with iMessage for iPhone and iPad
- How to send photos using iMessage
- How to quickly delete multiple images at once with iMessage
- How to send videos using iMessage
- How to send photo and video selfies in just seconds with iMessage
- How to send a quick voice message with iMessage
- How to quickly share your location using iMessage
- How to send contact cards using iMessage
- How to send map locations using iMessage
- How to send Voice Memos with iMessage
- How to report iMessage spam to Apple
- How to turn on and off read receipts in iMessage
- How to block iMessages on the iPhone or iPad
- How to block iMessages on the Mac
- How to disable iMessage on iPhone if you switch to Android
- Receiving iMessages on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus but not regular texts? Here's how to fix it!