How to update to iOS 7 using iTunes
Everything you need to know about updating your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad to iOS 7 using iTunes and USB
It's much faster and easier to install iOS 7 via the over-the-air Software Update system. However, if you're a traditionalist, or if you're worried about data corruption from old backups and want a clean, fresh start, iTunes is still an option. Here's how:
- Back up your device to either iCloud or iTunes before performing any kind of update.
- Make sure you're on the latest version of iTunes. Go to About and then Check for Updates or visit Apple.com.
- Launch iTunes on your Mac or PC.
- Plug in your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad.
- Once your computer recognizes it, click on the Summary tab if you aren't already there.
- Under the iPhone section, click on Check for Update.
- iTunes should recognize that there is an update available for iOS 7.0, click on Download and Install on the window that pops up.
Once your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad reboots, you'll be running iOS 7. If you need more help, here are your go-to links!